1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in straight marriage and scared to death

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Butterfly2016, May 4, 2016.

1. Butterfly2016

Okay so, here it goes. I've been scared to talk about this for a long time but..I need to. I'm 26 and stuck in a straight marriage all in the name of surviving. When I moved here in 2011 I had a plan...find a job, meet a nice woman, and marry her. Well, all of that changed when I was unable to find work. I was desperate so..I ended up marrying my male neighbor. We've been married 4 years. But...I know who I really am and it makes me so sad that I had to do this to myself and to him. I'm looking for work now so I can finally...hopefully..make my way back to my real life. Any thoughts? I'm sad and lonesome.

2. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You will find many others here who are in similar situations. I am one of those people. Married to a man, we have kids, and i've struggled many years thinking i was bi..not so. The only advice i can give is take things one day at a time. Make goals, do things little by little. And try to stay strong. Have you told your husband what you are feeling? Do you have any lgbt friends close by that you can talk to? Or a therapist maybe?

3. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just try and stay strong and take it one day at a time. Talk with your husband and let him know how you're feeling.

4. Butterfly2016

He has already figured out what I am. However..I can't let him divorce me..and I can't divorce him...cause he keeps me alive. You get me? I know its horrible but...I have no choice right now and it makes me sick..

5. Butterfly2016

Update: My husband and I just had the nicest talk about my sexuality today. He is so chill now. As I said last night he already knows what I am. But these days he's very open to talking about it. Heck, he even points out hot girls for me to look at in public lol. So this is a step in the right direction. I just gotta figure out what to do next. But for now I'm so happy I could cry! ^_^

6. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is awesome. I'm sure you've got to feel a little more free now.

7. Butterfly2016

I really do. Its amazing. People really do eventually learn to be more accepting of what they can't change. Nice to see that in the person I've spent almost 4 years with. If I'm ever actually able to move on with my life someday, I would consider him to be a close friend for the rest of my life.

8. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a really good thing. Having open communication can make things a little easier.This should give you some time to take a deep breath and do some planning about what step to tale next (*hug*)

9. bleedingheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am glad things have improved for you but I would offer a little advice and a potential warning. People change, and if you are still financially dependent he could suddenly grow tired of the game and change your life overnight. From your earlier description you did not marry out of love, but for financial stability. I am not judging you here in any way. I too was once in a relationship where my partner had the house in their name, had all the money, the high paying job, and I was at home, working part time only, being the dutiful housewife. We had a big break up but then got back together, partly because for me, what the hell could I do, where could I go, so I gave in to all the demands for this and that and all went back to normal. Except, following that experience, I learned one thing, I had to start saving. So I saved in secret, ten pounds here, twenty pounds there. Put an unnoticeable bit away every time I got paid anything, and just kept going. When my saving reached £200 (I know, it sounds pathetic) I at least knew if I had to I could stay in a hotel for a while. When they got to £500 I thought I could pay a deposit on a place to rent. When they got to a £1000 I could barely resist spending it, but I kept saving and saving and saving.

Then, two years later, and I had a few thousand pound saved, a big argument started again. My partner said 'get out of my house', and I said 'if you tell me that again I am going and you will never see me again.'. He said it again, and I left. With my savings I was not destitute, stayed a couple of nights in a b&b, then at a friends house for a few nights, found a place, moved in, struggled for months, found another job and now life moves on. The point being I suppose that I survived because I saved a nest egg, my parachute back into the world when my partner decided to throw me out. Did they care that I would be destitute, not a bit. I think they thought it was just punishment for whatever supposed crime I had committed in their eyes.

So I am delighted that your partner is being reasonable and understanding for now, he sounds like a lovely man. But without sounding negative, start saving. Make getting a full time job your number one priority. Take anything to earn, then save, save and save some more. It saved my life.

Best wishes
    xxx

10. Butterfly2016

Thank you so much for the encouragement ^^ I really do appreciate it. I'm gonna try doing that. Getting a job in my country right now is really tough lol.

11. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay! Way to go!!!

12. TheGreenWhat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sounds like it's on the up. Good stuff.

13. Chicagoblue

maybe if you find yourself in a passionate affair with a strong woman she can help you make the move you truly want to make

14. Butterfly2016

As ashamed as I am to admit it...I have considered cheating...but I wasn't raised to be that way. I don't wanna hurt the guy. I consider him a really good friend. But I may have to. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

15. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't think cheating is a good idea. There is a lot of guilt that comes with it. I got permission from my husband and I still felt tremendous guilt about it.

16. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's ok a lot of people are in this situation and it can be the scariest and most frustrating place to be in, take it one day at a time and try to find ways to evolve into your true self with baby steps... Don't repress anything, it will only make things worst
    Personally it took a trusted therapist and telling a few friends who are open minded, supportive and non-judgmental and romantic feeling towards a person (nothing happened though) to get me through.
    Sending you supportive vibes

17. Butterfly2016

Thank you :slight_smile: I'm so glad I'm not being judged for what I'm doing or the thoughts I'm having. I really do get lonesome and I sometimes consider doing immoral things. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person..

18. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thinking about things and acting on them are two different things. I'm not the type of person to cheat, but in my situation I have considered it (but haven't actually gone through with it). What you do is up to you, but think things through beforehand. If you were to have an affair with a woman, and he found out would he throw you out? I'm not trying to be a downer but from what you said about looking for work and not being able to move yet I would be careful. Are there any places near you to meet other people in the lgbt community? Or an lgbt support center? Maybe there are some resources that can help you find work and/or a place to go.

19. Butterfly2016

Sadly there's nothing like that here in my town. Its really sad. Internet dating is the only possible way to do something here. Which I know most people do anyway.

20. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry, hopefully something will work out for you soon. Until then, try to keep your head up. hugs