1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum thinks I'm straight & keeps asking if I have a boyfriend?? :-I

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CashTrash, May 6, 2016.

1. CashTrash

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!

Before I even start, I want to say that I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes etc., english is not my native language :-B Also, I'm new to this forum so if I'm in the wrong thread, I'm very sorry!!

My problem is that since, about a year I've been questioning my sexuality now. I'm still not 100% comfortable with labeling with myself, but I guess I could say I'm either bi or pan. But that's not exactly the problem; the thing is, my mum constantly asks me if I have a boyfriend. Not only that it's just very uncomfortable in general (because I feel like she doesn't trust me?? or she's just being sextremly overprotective), it's also pretty weird for me because she just expects that I'm straight. I have actually no idea how she feels about LGBTQ+ or if she's homophobic, but I could imagine that she wouldn't...believe that I'm bi/pan or would say that it doesn't exists. At this point I would just say I'm a lesbian so she couldn't tell me my sexuality is fake or something, but I can't say that if it's just not true, if that makes any sense. I also don't feel ready anyway, to really come out. But going on with her questions everyday isn't really a great option either :-V So, my question is, how could I stop her from expecting I'm straight, without really...outing myself? That probably sounds very confusing, I hope you still understand what I mean. I also could use some advice on...how to find out if you're mother is homophobic or not hah. Because I don't know how to casually come up with this topic, I would feel pretty weird by just asking "hey mum what do you think about lgbtq haha :slight_smile:" you know?
    I hope I didn't make to many spelling mistakes and that this all makes sense!! thank you in advance for answers :-B

2. Butterfly2016

Well, here's how I would go about it. Just gently start a conversation with her about it. Something like "So..have you ever had any gay friends?" I know that kinda sounds like jumping the gun, but I feel like that would get her to open up. Just my idea.

3. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there and welcome to EC :slight_smile:

What I did to test my mother's waters was to bring LGBT issues whenever they were represented in the media, such as: ''Same-sex marriage is legalized in all states of the US''. Just say it loudly as if you were reading something. My mom will always give comments on whatever I have to say so that's how I did that. I don't know how your mom is, it depends on the person.

Or you could make up some story of your ''Friend'': ''Oh that friend (girl) of mine now has a girlfriend.''

After I knew how she thought about LGBTQ+ people, I started to leave comments like: ''How would you feel if I were to marry someone fo the same-sex?''

But I will tell you this, you can't stop her from assuming you are straight without outing yourself for a tiny bit. I mean it in a way that you don't nessecarily have to scream: ''I AM GAY'', but y'know, a bit questioning about it.

I will also tell you this: It will take time, don't expect your parents to do this 180 degree turn once you revealed yourself for a tiny bit. It comes gradually.

However, I don't know how your relationship with your mother is and to what degree you and her have a deep connection.

I hope this helped at least a tiny bit hah :slight_smile:

Have a great day :slight_smile: and thanks for sharing!

4. Embi

Embi Guest

Welcome :smilewave

My mother assumes that I'm straight too and my aunt always asks me if I have a boyfriend, so I can relate to that.

What I started to do (even though slowly, so they didn't realize yet), is put the bisexual pride flag as background on my laptop and stuff like that. My family knows I'm very tolerant though and they also don't know that flag, so they won't necessarily stop thinking that I'm straight, but I don't know how you and your parents are.
    You could also speak about celebrities you like and make sure you mention more female ones.
    If you feel confident enough for that, you could respond to her questions with: "Why do you automatically assume it has to be a guy? Couldn't I technically fall in love with girls too?" I don't know if you're ready for that though but maybe you can try that later.

The thing is that it's normal for people to assume you're straight, especially when you don't "look" gay, what's very annoying of course. So the only way she would really stop would be a coming out. But you shouldn't do that before you're ready.

5. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bring up the LGBT topic in one of your conversations. See what she says about it.
    Then you will figure out if she is homophobic. If she is, its best not to come out now and just deal with it that she is asking these annoying "do you have a boyfriend?" questions. :slight_smile:

6. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

Maybe you can just tell her that those questions make you feel uncomfortable ¿? That whenever you are in a couple you will tell her ¿?

Do not come out until you feel ready, there is no hurry!

Or at least, that's what I did.