1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad's family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by funsized, May 7, 2016.

1. funsized

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad's family (homophobes) keep asking me if I have a boyfriend and assume I'm straight. I'm scared to tell them that I am bi and am not dating anyone. They're really old school Catholics. I'm scared if I come out to them that they will abandon me.

What do I say if they ask if I have a boyfriend? What can I do to help them understand that this isn't a choice but that I was born this way? Is there anyway that they will talk to me again after I come out to them?

Truth is, I really want to be honest with them. But with them being really religious, I feel it will ruin our relationship. How will this affect me as a whole? Will I just have to stay in the closet longer than I thought?

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You aren't alone in this, I'm dealing with the same thing. If they ask, tell them you don't wanna date anyone ( don't say boys because they might assume you like girls ). I don't think you should come out yet, and I completely understand that you wanna be honest with them, but there's a chance that they might abandon you so I think you shouldn't take the risk now. Wait until you're fully prepared to deal with that, if that happens.

If you wanna make them understand that it isn't a choice you need some solid arguments. Do some research and note the info you find or print them out or just learn them by heart so that for any argument they have you can reply with something better that could convince them.

After they've accepted you ( hopefully they will ), they will probably talk to you again. Again, wait until you're prepared if the contrary happens.

Hopefully I helped a bit, remember that you can always come here for support and help c:

I wish you good luck! ^^