1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right time to come out to my grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConverseCody, May 8, 2016.

1. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 22 years old and have been 'out' to my parents and friends since I was 19. Ive been going out with my boyfriend for about a year now. However, I'm yet to tell my grandparents. I'm graduating next month and all my friends on my course know that I'm gay and I'm slightly worried that someone is going to say something to out me. I think the time has come to tell them but the thought of doing it makes me very anxious. I very much doubt that they would disown me but they have both (especially my grandad) said a lot of things which make me think that they wouldn't be too great about it.

I now have a good support system of people who love and accept me for who I am. So I know if the worst happened and they took it badly, I would have that to fall back on.

However, it's the conversation that's worrying me. Like how can I just come out and tell them? I remember with my friends and family three years ago, it got me soooo anxious! I won't be able to get the words out.

I thought about getting my mum to tell them but that might just make it worse?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning to make a coming out to my grandma. I'm going to tell her some "hints" to prepare her for the "shock". She's very conservative etc. but I hope she will take it well after all. I'm doing it slowly, giving her time to adjust to various things in the course of weeks (months) which already started.
    You know your grandparentst the best.