1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentally came out but got cold feet!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Embi, May 8, 2016.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

So before I start: I wanted to come out to my family some time ago but I never had enough courage and waited for an opportunity to casually do it.

Today we had a discussion about my future and my father jokingly said that I should just marry a man and get five kids so that I had something to do. I responded with "I don't wanna marry a man". My mother then asked "So you wanna marry a woman?". I said that I don't care which one and then I realized what I was doing and totally backed out of it by saying that I don't want to marry a man and I don't want to marry a woman either. My mother just said that I have enough time for that anyway.

Why did I do that? It was the opportunity I waited for! And also nobody seemed to care. What do I do now? I am so stupid :bang:

2. bleedingheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should decide when to come out and not let circumstance dictate for you. There will be plenty of times in the future that will also seem ideal. Your mum is right, you have plenty of time to get these things sorted out in your own mind, in other peoples minds and in life generally. Your parents do care, but they hopefully care more about your happiness than conformity. Just take your time, do it when you are ready, and it sounds like you were not ready (or just taken by surprise) which is why you backed out. With retrospect we all think of ways we could have handled situations better, its called learning through experience. Next time you might find you respond very differently.

Best wishes,
    xxx

3. Silver Sparrow

Don't beat yourself up about not coming out when you feel you should. It's super important that you take coming out at your own pace. And everyone is different in their pace of coming out. I know I've had tons of times where it felt like I could have come out, but I didn't feel quite ready. Take it easy on yourself.

4. Embi

Embi Guest

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I guess you're right. I just thought I was ready and wanted to tell it spontaneously and now it turned out to be wrong. I never thought this would be so difficult :confused: