1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im 13 and im not quite shure if i should come out yet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jacotime45, May 9, 2016.

1. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hi im 13 and in 7th grade i started my first year in a in a new school and im not quite shure if i should come out that im bisexual yet what do you guys think

2. Cuchoalpino

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You should see how everyone is about LGBT people first, plus I think you are too young... well you are just 1 year younger than me but I haven't come out to everyone yet, just some friends... but that, you should see how people is on attitude in general and bring some LGBT topic to see how they react, but at it's respective time, try to make good friends first in your new school, good luck!

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Um.. Most people suggest coming out a bit later for various reasons such as you miss making mistakes, you are financially stable and don't risk getting kicked out, you don't face the unkindness of teenagers, your school might be anti-LGBT, etc..
    I do know someone who came out as bi at 11 years old but that was a very lucky circumstance

---------- Post added 10th May 2016 at 05:38 AM ----------

It just depends when you want to really...
    It's never too late but it's often too early for most

4. Wolfwing

Well it depends. I'd recommend you wait till you can support yourself if your parents are homophobic. Though I'd recommend that if you really need to, then tell someone who you trust and who you know will be able to keep it a secret. If you anymore help just pm me.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned above, it would be good for you to get a feel for the school, and see how supportive others are. If you are not sure, if it is a good idea to come out, this is something to listen to. This is in part your instincts talking.

Take your time. Once you have a better feel for the school and how others could potentially react, you can then make a decision on whether to start coming out.

Is there a GSA or LGBTQ* support group at your school?

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody else can answer this question for you because it depends on both the unique circumstances you're in and your own strengths.
    Are you out to anyone at all?
    Have you considered who you would want to be out to and maybe who not to be?
    It is also worth considering how confident you are that you understand your sexuality as well as you can.

For the record I was out at 14. I had good friends that supported me and didn't suffer bullying etc. at school. My experience with my parents wasn't as good but I don't wish I'd waited longer. If I hadn't come out I don't know what I would have done instead.
    That is my personal experience and it isn't the same for everyone but it is as much a possibility as anything else.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do your parents/guardians feel about bisexuality? Do you think they would be supportive? Maybe you should think about coming out to them first if you havent already? If you dont think your parents would be supportive, do you have anybody else in your life who would support you? Its important that the first person you come out to is supportive of your sexuality.

#7 Robert, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  8. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cuchoalpino I have been in my school all year and only two weeks until it is over

9. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think take your time and observe your surroundings in school. I am speaking from close minded small town school. At 13 I knew who I was and glad you know for yourself.

10. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im not shure what im going to do yet but thanks for the advice and im still open to more advice