1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... Im stuck in a box

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Garf, May 10, 2016.

1. Garf

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I came out as trans to my parents, all they do is yell no and name stereotypes. My mom tried to force me to say I am a girl. They said I cant do this to my family. And Im also dating a girl... Sigh I need help. Mom says no one is trans unless they get full sex change surgery. She said some other sht like u think it will be easier to be a boy? I dont know what to do anymore. I showed her pics of transmen like Ryan Cassata or Nick Camryn. All she said was their parents are irresponsible. Gerr:help:

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done for being so brave!

Hopefully your parents were just reacting to the shock of it and will come 'round eventually.

(*hug*)

The other trans people here will be helpful. (&&&)

3. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ouchh, im so sorry you got that reaction, pal. of course it's different w/ everyone's parents but i've heard of people who had very unsupportive parents who eventually got around so there's still hope.

i came out over a year ago now, and my parents were "supprotive" but dismissive at the start and honestly i think it had mostly to with them worrying about me. what i did was write them a letter so that i could really get down everything i wanted to say and linked them to a very informative website about trans stuff. I think for them they had to realise that i knew what i was getting myself into, that this was something i had thought about a lot, that i knew the "consequences" and all that. Get them to really understand that this is something that matters to you and that there's no possible way to live you life as a girl and be completely happy. at least there's not for me, that's not a future i can see possible because of all the dysphoria and bad feelings and all that.

i promise that you're not doing anything bad to your family by being trans. I get those feeling too sometimes, like I'm somehow a disappointment for being trans. Which is bullshit. If they say it's bad for the family that's on them for not supporting you. It doesn't matter if they like it or not, they should still support you.

idk if i have any real "tips" apart from trying to inform your parents as much as possible. hopefully someone else has more experience w/ how to handle an unsupportive family

anyways keep fighting and take care! (*hug*) I really hope it gets better for you!

4. Garf

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the support!