1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm stuck in this closet for the rest of my life.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Feb 26, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

So my family (bro, me, mom) just had a big dad issue which I'm still kind of upset over so if this post is incoherent/rambly/ect I apologize, I'm not all here right now. But I need to get this out.

Long story short, my dad is an asshole. He cheated and left us (not too uncommon, that's not what I'm most upset about), is a liar, treats us like crap and is just not a good person. We're at the height of the divorce now, and everything's stressful and ugh I can't stand it.

For the past 2-3 years ish, of course my mom has made comments to me like "Just make sure you don't marry a man like him", you know, stuff like that. I'd just be like "...Oh uh right, I won't." I just kind of figured that eventually, when I got a serious girlfriend I'd come out when the time was right, whatever. No problems.

Buuuuut my mom recently put us into therapy, so we can look good for the court, and she thought it might help. When it was my turn to have the 1-on-1 talk with the therapist, she seemed really interested in talking about future husbands to make sure I don't go with a man like my dad, or push men away so I don't have to deal with a man like my dad, ect. After we were done she said she was looking forward to talking about this again. D:!

So, since I was reeeeeally uncomfortable talking to her about men, I started thinking about this... I'm totally screwed now, right? I can't come out now (or ever really) because everyone important to me won't take me seriously. They're just going to think I'm pushing all men away so I don't end up with someone like my dad, or something like that. Especially since I dated a boy for 2+ years and recently left him. It's going to look like I dumped him and "switched" to women because of my dad now, isn't it? And I'm afraid this therapist lady is going to try to convince me that it's all in anger towards my dad that I'm feeling this way, and she's going to try to change me or something.

Ugh I hope that made sense. I just don't know what I'm going to do from here. I'm not saying I WAS ready to come out, I'm just saying it's going to be a hell of a lot harder now if I ever decide to do it.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Why would they not take you seriously? Nah, it won't look that way. It might if you tell everyone about your dad then mention you're a lesbian though. That'd probably be the first thought in my mind.

3. notquitebutch

That's the problem, though. The people who I want to know eventually are my mom and brother, and the rest of my family. And they all know the situation, obviously. I could care less about strangers knowing.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Oh okay, then in that instance just tell them not to think that. You had feelings for women before this mess started and it's nothing that your father contributed towards. :slight_smile:

5. I would see how well your therapist deals with glbt issues and patients. if you find that she is ok and good with it, then i would mention it to her that you (also, just in case you want to play being bi and test the waters) like girls. she may be able to help you come out to your family if you so choose!
    Hope this helps!
    Metta

#5 greyundrstndng, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  6. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Crap went down with my father too. I was concerned about people thinking the same thing you are worried about them thinking. While not out to my immediate family, my friends never said anything to the effect of "does this have anything to do with your father?" My friends are very aware of my situation. My cousin is also fully aware of pretty much everything that went down with him, and never questioned.

I'm not trying to say that it will be a complete non-issue, but throwing out that it probably won't be quite as large a hurdle as it seems right now.

7. notquitebutch

I'm afraid to tell the therapist. I don't know why, but I just am. I feel like im there to talk about dad, and If i get into that, it'l be another whole big thing, you know? And we might only go a few more times (expensiiiive) so I don't know if it's worth it.

Yeah, my friends are the same way. They understand that I'm gay because... I like girls, not because my dad's an ass :'D

Thank you, though, I hope you're right. And good luck to you when/if you decide to tell your immediate family!

8. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

awww... i totally understand what your going through;; had similar cases like when my mom goes like i'm gonna make a double marriage when you and your bro graduate from universities and pick a nice wife ... i got many nice wifes for you my son D:!! i i understand how you feel when you talk about different sexs (men in ur case). hmm...well right now you don't have to come out since its a bad time (divorce) and why are you forcing your self to comeout? its not like you have to have to come out now right ? plus i suggest not to do so since your mom and brother might take it in a different way (different results from what you expect) and your mom will start crying and acting emo (most mom do so trust me) like why its a sin blah blah blah and plus it will be a second hit for her . she will go like OMG this is the worst year my daughter is a gay and i'm getting divorce so i would advice you to to rather support her for the time being :slight_smile:. hope my advice helps you ^^
    feel free to message me if you need further help :slight_smile:

9. Greggers

I dont know any "amazing fix" or anything, but it might help for you to know that "overbearing mothers" dont turn people into fairy fruitcakes and "horrible abusive fathers" dont turn people into butch man-haters :slight_smile: This has been proven to not be the case by many, if not all, respected medical associations. The way i look at it is that you have the upper hand here. You KNOW how they are going to most likely re-act. You can prepare a bullet proof argument against it before you do come out! (*hug*) Get together 1) all the facts against this common "theory". Online resources are great. 2) prepare your personal argument. You KNOW this is not why, so figure out how in your own words you will express your feelings.

Hope this helps somewhat?

10. jangel

Hello, I have worked in the social work field for almost 9 years now and just about everyone I know is a therapist. Therapy is a place to talk about how you really feel, a therapists job is to listen to your feelings, support you and lead you to making healthy decisions. In no way should a therapist ever tell you that you are wrong, or make a judgement against you. She/he may ask you if you think being gay has to do with your dad but answer honestly and tell your true feelings. The therapist should take your answer as the truth and try and help you understand these feelings. Just a word of caution make sure you have full confidentiality with your therapist and that she does not have to report to your mother (all therapists are mandated reporters and must report abuse, neglect, or self injurious behavior/suicidal ideation but that is just for your safety teachers nurses ect are also madated reporters). You are a minor and your mom may have signed a consent. Just ask "is this info shared with my mom" she/ he will have to tell you if they plan on sharing the information. Most therapists are great and just want to help but I also know some can be unprofessional. So just keep that in mind...if this one does not work for you tell your mom you want another therapist for your one on one therapy. Good luck -jen

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Wow. You look pretty Jangle.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be good to tell the therapist. Because if you approach it correctly, I think she'll understand. IF you say "I dunno - I think I might just be a lesbian", that sounds like "I've decided not to deal with guys." But if you say, "Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian. I started realizing this several years ago, and I kept assuming it was some sort of phase - maybe because of my dad. But now I realize that this is really how I am." The therapist presumably will want to ask some questions to feel sure about this, but she should be able to see that no - you're not a "Man-hater". :slight_smile:

Lex