1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Post

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gYM, May 14, 2016.

1. gYM

gYM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been meaning to write this message for awhile as the comments and feedback on these message boards I believe are invaluable. It is likely to be lengthy but I think it is important to provide the full picture in order for individuals to pass fair judgement.

I am bisexual and the confusion and conflict has affected my mental health to the point of driving me close to suicide. Instead of battling on through life, I felt it would be easier to end it all and draw a close to the daily grind I felt I was suffering. If it was not for the impact on my mother I would have probably done it by now.

I have never had a homosexual experience but have known for over ten years that I am not straight. I believe another term I’ve seen mentioned is heteroflexible. I value my privacy but by not coming out to clarify my sexuality, I have only agitated colleagues, friends and family who believe I am a coward and living a lie.

I have cut myself off from friends and extended family, feeling that by cutting myself from the outside world I was less open to hurt and fear. However in doing this I have come to realise I am just letting life pass me by.

I have been bullied at work for three years as colleagues have colluded to make my daily life a misery. This has involved whispered homophobic remarks and regularly staged incidents to try and single me out and embarrass me. Through my stubbornness and determination to not let the bullies win, I dug my heels in and have stayed in the job to the detriment of my health.

I could list tens and tens of events that have occurred at work to the point where I forget some only to recollect them weeks later. The involvement has been building wide, involving tens of people and at times HR and higher management. I have become a social recluse and suffered panic attacks due to being on a constant level of heightened anxiety.

I believe through social media colleagues got in contact with previous employers and close friends so that what was originally an issue just at work became an all encompassing life problem. I did not know who I could trust and felt that everyone was trying to out me.

I was diagnosed with having a first stage psychosis six months ago and now take antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs. I therefore do not know how much of what has happened to me over the last three years has been down to my mental illness.

I use to go out with friends to pubs and clubs and chat up women, but this use to rile friends who felt I was a fraud. In regards of friends I want to get back in contact with them and miss their company, but know coming out to them as bisexual is not realistic. Many believe that what I am does not exist and I am gay.

I do feel that bisexuality in women is more accepted in society compared to men and wish that such parity existed.

I miss the company of women but do not know how I should approach meeting them. Should I go online and join specific bisexual dating websites? Like OK Cupid. Do bisexual women even look to date bisexual males? Or should I date on straight websites such as T**der and then how and when is the best time to broach my sexuality?

I am sure I am not the only male with this confusion in their life and am keen to hear people’s thoughts.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all to be fair we don't judge!
    I would say don't put pressure on yourself to meet someone. It will happen when you least expect it.
    As someone that was bullied at work for many years I know what you are going through. (It was nothing to do with my sexuality, my boss was just a psychotic ball**x.:tantrum:slight_smile:
    When I was going through that stage in my life I found it very hard to socialize and to meet people. Dealing with my sexuality was impossible at that time. I wasn't until I moved jobs that things started to improve. I took quite a number of years for me to be able build up my self confidence.
    I feel that it is important to deal with the bulling issue, talk to a therapist, talk to a trade union representative. But do something about it, it's a hell that no one should go through.

As regards meeting women/men what worked for me was staring to believe in myself. When I lacked self-confidence I couldn't meet any one - The bullying I went through left me shattered and socially inept. As to when you tell a person that you are bisexual, with the right person you will know when the time is right.

(*hug*)

3. gYM

gYM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Yerman Tom. I will take on board everything you have said, feeling shattered and socially inept I certainly relate to.

I am keen to move jobs and so it is something I am looking into. I certainly think a change in role and office environment will be beneficial.

Maybe its just in my mind, but since seeking help and taking medication my confidence has improved.