1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you come out to some people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lovetoomuch, May 14, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Hey there, I could use some future advice from people with experience. I am still in the stages of coming out to people. About 10 people know right now and there are about 3 more people I want to tell before I really stop caring who finds out. These people are important in my life and I feel they deserve to hear it from me rather than another person.

Today, I came out to a close family friend, who ended up becoming a really close friend of mine. He was my basketball coach and we formed a really close relationship - he is in his 40-50s and a male. We unfortunately don't get to see each other often so I was set on telling him today.

I did come out to him and he was extremely supportive. He even sent me a text after we talked saying "I'm always here for you." My problem is I really don't like how I went about it.

I kind of brought it up out of the blue, said something like "There is something I want to talk to you about," and then said it. I just felt really awkward about it and I didn't like how I brought it up in the conversation.

How do / did you all come out to people close in your lives? I assume most of you sense when it was the right time, but as I said, I really don't get to see him often. I just hate how I brought it up so randomly and keep thinking about it. Thanks for any advice!

2. Embi

Embi Guest

Girlfriend: Just casually told her over text message, she already told me she's bi.
    Friends: Awkward text message in which I explained it and another time just talking about how I wanted to go to pride and then mentioned my colors which led to one of my friend asking what they meant and I kinda choked telling them.

It was awkward with all my friends but they were supportive. I think your feeling will go away, mine did too. Of course I thought about better ways afterwards, but it happened the way it happened and nobody can change it. What is important is that the person you tell is supportive.

#2 Embi, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  3. tulipinacup

I think it's normal for coming out to be awkward because it's something you're not used to telling people no matter how close you are to them.

When I came out to my friend, I had to drink a couple of alcohol just to be brave enough to tell her and I'm so relieved that she understood and we're closer than ever.

I think it just depends on the type of person who you want to come out with. When I came out to my cousin I already have the idea that she's more on the liberal side and asked her stance on gay marriage in the United States (this was before it was legal to marry anyone in any of the state) to which she also fights for the legality of it and that's when I knew it was sure for me to come out to her.

4. Silvermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree that being awkward is totally fine, and in a lot of cases, perfectly normal. When I came out to some of my friends, it was really awkward, and I basically just stayed silent after my bit and didn't open my mouth for around five minutes after, until I calmed down. :bang: :grin:
    In the end, it's good that you came out to him, especially because you two seem so close. Way to go!