1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a college...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jman77, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a senior and trying to figure out what college to go to, which is hard enough in itself. I kinda wanted to go to a college that non of my classmates are going to. I narrowed it down to two, Northeastern Uni in Boston and Binghamton Uni in Binghamton ny. My best friend who doesn't know about me now is going to go to Binghamton. Part of the reason I wanted to go to a college with no one is to really start over, I'm in a really small conservative town (even though I'm in ny lol). So should I automatically just choose the other? They always say don't choose a college because of your friends but aren't I doing that kinda? I don't know if this makes any sense but any advice would help. Thanks

2. Melissa

Ah, choosing a college. Yes, well, I have a friend who goes to Northeastern and she absolutely loves it. They apparently have a very diverse community! I understand you want to go where you can have a fresh start, that's not a bad reason at all. You make perfect sense. : )

3. TheRoof

i dont think it matters if ur friend plans to go to the college u wanna go. u can always make new friends, and so can he....but if u feel uncomfortable about it, u could choose the other college.
    i think it really depends on you. it's the college YOU are going to, so dont let the "friend" factor influence your decision.
    good luck

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Don't pick one just because they aren't going. Trust me, colleges are MASSIVE. You'll most likely not see your friends very often. Also there's thousands of people attending, and you don't usually go to college all day. Trust me, you can make a fresh start going to any college regardless if you know a few people or not.

5. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends about everything you are looking for in a college. You obviously want one that has good professorial staff, a good curriculum, location and facilities but you probably want one that is gender neutral with frats or clubs and lgbt organizations available. Take it all into account and then maybe talk to members of the student body and the gsa or lgbt group to ensure it is a friendly place to be. You want to be happy for the 4 years you are there.

6. Urman

Urman Guest

I herd that is a descent college go to were u think is right i am in about the same area as Binghamton there are many other colleges in that area if your like you can pm me and i can give you some suggestions if you life.But choose a place were your gonna be most comfortable at.

7. jman1013

jman1013 Guest

I know college is a very good opportunity to start a fresh, but the main reason you are going is to obtain a good degree. You shouldn't choose based on who will be there but what you can exploit from the college. You should choose one that will get you where you want to be and once you have found that go there. Most people leave high school behind when they get to college, no one cares too much about other peoples business

8. olides84

I understand the starting over need and there's nothing wrong with that being one component of the decision. I went to the same (big) university as one of my best friends and we hardly ever saw each other for the first few years.

But my other, more glib answer is, all else being equal: go to Northeastern. I mean it's in Boston!! The best big city in the US to go to university I think.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your best bet? If at all possible, go visit both campuses. Most campuses allow prospective students to sit in on a couple of classes, and even sleep over in the dorms for a night. (I hosted prospective students for a couple of years.) These visits should give a much better feeling for the "vibe" of each school, and should make the decision easier.

Lex

10. sdc91

If you know what you want to major in, look at the departments of the schools and pick from there.

Otherwise, Northeastern all the way!

11. EM68

I would visit both. Sounds like Binghamton may be in a smaller town. While Northeastern is in the middle of Boston. The campus is spread out over several blocks. After visiting them see which atmosphere you want to be in. I do have to say though from being from Boston, Northeastern is pretty fun. I went to a night program there and went to a few bars and off campus parties when I was much younger.