1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Trouble Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by daughtry, May 15, 2016.

1. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Hi. So I've come out as gay to my immediate family and friends but only to one of my relatives so far. Many of my relatives are conservative Christians with varying degrees of homophobia. Aside from the rocky initial coming out to my parents, basically everyone I've told so far has been okay with it. But my relatives may not be and it may be devastating to me if they reject me. Especially my Grandma.

How do I brace myself for potential rejection?

2. Loui89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Give them some time to process. It took my Gran almost two years to come around. Don't take crap from anyone but still give them time to deal. They might eventually surprise you :slight_smile: And if they don't accept you for who you are, don't let their negativity get to you.

3. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your immediate family is ok and accepts it talk to them about you wanting to come out to your grandma, they may back you up on it. You also need to give them all time to process it, and show them it doesn't change who you are.