1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to people when you don't have a label

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by laviedadele, May 16, 2016.

1. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for me it's going to take a long time to know what I really want and to be confident in who I'm attracted to. I'm stuck in a bit of a rut where I can't be sure who I like due to lack of experiences, and I'm not seeking experiences because I'm not sure who I like/people don't know I like girls. And to top it off I'm so busy and try to distract myself from it, and then hate myself for doing that.

But I'm not denying not being straight anymore.

Anyway, the past few people I've "come out" to, their reaction has been "what, I didn't know you were bi?" or "so you're bi then?". By "coming out", I mean telling people that I've been on a couple of dates with girls/am texting girls. It just annoys me, what has made them assume I was previously straight or that I now also like guys? I've never really had a boyfriend, maybe they just think I look straight.

I just feel I can't figure this out inside my head, I need to be sharing it with people, without them asking me to label myself. Has anyone else found this?

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Not 100% straight" is a perfect label.

People have always and will always try put everyone into a category, it makes the world easer to understand.
    The truth is that you along with everyone else are uneque.
    Be yourself, like and love who you like.
    (*hug*)

3. Dobby

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I really feel like i relate to what you are saying. I also don't know what label is me. I just decided to do a "Kristen stewart" and not give myself one. I came out to a few people as saying i've been in love with a woman before or saying that i could see myself marrying a woman or a man

depending on how you feel i have found it easier to present my sexuality as the things i'm sure i know about me. i.e. i know i've been in love with a woman. which appears to exactly what you've done by saying your texting women ect. no label gives freedom of expectation, so maybe just respond with how you feel (not wanting to put a label on it?)

sorry i managed to put a lot of "I" in your post! Hope you find a way that feels natural :slight_smile: