1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheating in class

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3104, Feb 27, 2009.

1. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    I may be starting a dangerous, bad habit, and I dont like it...I hate it.

So earlier this week, I had a quiz in my statistics 441 class, and I think I did very well, as a matter of fact, I think I may have gotten 100% on it. I turned in the quiz and walked out of the room feeling accomplished. Then came the email the next day.

The professor said that he had received wind that someone in one of the class sections had apparently blatantly cheated on the quiz and that he did not know who but would recommend the most serious punishment if it ever happened again.

I completely agree with him, and damn that person whoever they are, who other people are trusting with thier health care (I am in pharmacy school) that thier lack of morals may endanger the health of others. Here is my problem, I am so afraid (sometimes, depends on the moment) that that person who cheated, is me.

So now you may be thinking, "Oh man, that was not smart, why would you do that?" And there stands the opposing problem, I am about 99.99% sure I did nothing wrong. I am one of those people (obviously) who if I even felt like I cheated walking out of the test, whether someone would have seen me or not, I probably on my own would have gone up to the TA or prof and said, "Give me a zero, and any other punishment I deserve." (I know, sounds unusual to say, doesn't it? Go ahead, say it out loud to yourself).

Notice how I said this may becoming a habit? Well I am coping an email I wrote to the Health Sciences Ombuds person (kind of a general 'go-to' person if you need something) last semester, and I think it is eerily similar to what I have written here.

Hello,

My name is Jacob, a first year Pharmacy student. There's been something bothering me pretty bad, and I suppose you are the person I should go to. About two weeks ago I had an exam in a class. The exam was very hard, and relative to everyone else in my class, I did fine, but what kills me is I feel like I cheated and glanced at someone else's test at a particular point during the exam. The weird thing is, I don't think I actually did cheat, I just FEEL like I did. (as in, my eyes never actually 'wandered')

I feel awful that I am even writing this, and I thought I would never have to talk with someone like an Ombuds person, yet here I am, typing away. I guess I just dont know how to assess the situation, and if I should be administered punishment, (even though there is a good chance I did nothing wrong) so be it. I don't know if I am a bad person or my morals are too strong to the point that they are not making the clearest sense of reality for me every once in a while.

Your input would be much appreciated,

Thank you,

Jacob
    DPH-1

So there it is. And just to wrap up this whole thing and get everything out I feel I need to say, I think the fuel behind a lot of this is when I hit a hard spot on the quiz or exam when I am taking it. What I mean is, when I reach a point in the exam where I am stuck on a problem, IT IS THEN when I feel most vulnerable to doing something unethical. I dont feel vulnerable at the time I am taking the test really,...I feel vulnerable looking back at that moment, which is why I feel bad about this quiz: I remember struggling with the second half of the quiz, before I figured it out. ugh! This sucks!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol don't cheat, or at least try not to in a college setting. Getting expelled or having people accuse you of things is worst than being branded a homosexual imo.

3. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    what? i'm so confused. did you or did you not cheat? you shouldn't though.

4. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    if you were to ask me straight up, "Did you cheat?" I would say no. Honestly, I think I am so afraid of doing something wrong that it is almost as if I pretend that is was me 'just in case' I were living a lie. It's like, if you were watcing the news on TV and saw there was a bank robery, and then decided to turn yourself in just in case it was you, even though you have never been in a bank in your life.

I know, f'd-up.

5. Bryan44

If you know in your concious that you did nothing wrong then dont worry about it. Your going to cause yourself to be stressed out for no reason. Do what you know is right in your heart, and hopefully the decisions you make wont leave you feeling guilty afterward.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Damn your mixed up!

Theres no middle ground, you either cheated or your didn't. If your getting that worked up about it, you cheated, otherwise you wouldn't have a guilty conscience about it

7. Greggers

That is actully a common feeling! It happens to me ALL the time. One of my friends puts stink bombs all over one classroom, and just because im friends with him i felt SO guilty, and was about to admit to doing it myself even though i didnt. My mind plays tricks like that on me often.

But thats all it is, a mind trick. You didnt cheat! I know you didnt cheat, because if your not 100% sure you cheated, you didnt. 99.9% sure? Well then you didnt cheat. If you cheat, you KNOW you just cheated. This is most likely just your mind. It must have a name, cause it happens to me too. I think its somehow you putting yourself into someone elses shoes without knowing it? Something weird like that. Maybe im totally off here, but things like this happen to me ALL the time. Guilt by proximity.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "...someone in one of the class sections had apparently blatantly cheated on the quiz and that he did not know who..."

If it was blatant, wouldn't he know who it was? :slight_smile:

Anyway, try to take this a bit further. You didn't cheat. But you feel the urge to admit that you did. Why? Two total guesses.

* You don't feel worthy of your success. You feel that although you've done extremely well thus far, that you're somehow "faking it". And eventually people are going to find out that you're not all that smart, or not really cut out for it. And this would be a means to that end.

* As well as you're doing in school, it's stressing you out. You're looking for release, a way to get out of it, and admitting to this would be your exit.

Again, two total guesses from a gargoyle 1000 miles away. But then again, my father's from Fond Du Lac, so maybe I picked up a Wisconsin vibe. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're right Greggers. I am probably not alone (although its probably rare) with feeling like this. It is such a drain and waste of emotion/feeling that it helps no one, including me. And I could be using that time to study and do well on my next exam without the wasted time dwelling about something that never happened.

No, whoever that was who was caught cheating, it was not me, and I just decided (as you said) to put me in place of them automatically, unintensionally. Thanks for all your responses. I think from now on something I am really going to work on is when I am taking some sort of test, to be very aware of my surroundings and actions, and that will help me to not doubt myself later on. Im not a cheat, I'm just guilt-ridden.

Jacob

10. Sarah

lol. Um. You didn't cheat? But you think you did cheat? Everyone kind of glances at other people's tests. I do it just to see if I'm as far behind as I think I am, but I don't cheat. And I don't think(by the sounds of your morals) you would even be physically able to cheat.