1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Mormons

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sandmann, May 16, 2016.

1. Sandmann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To any other gay LDS/Mormons that read this, I want you to know that you can talk to me for help.

I grew up strict Mormon and been there done that. I can't be the only one on this website that had/has that situation. The good news is I have gotten past all of that and if this religion is affecting your relationship with your family and self interests then I want you to know you have someone to talk to.

This has affected my life and thankfully I am in a good place. I want to help any out there end up the same way.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also grew up mormon. Fortunately both of my parents have gotten out of it and now consider it a cult. It was never a big problem for me since my dad was forced into it and my mom just wanted to fit in with his family when they got married. It definitely made me scared to come out when I was younger though, but turns out I had nothing to worry about. Worst that has happened is I no longer talk to some of my still religious extended family, but that doesn't bother me one bit.

#2 Rickystarr, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. Sandmann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it's a bigger problem with my extended family. My parents and siblings don't seem to have any problems with it, but it is awkward around cousins, aunts/uncles. Obviously this isn't a problem to just Mormonism though.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel for sure. I have 6 aunts and their husbands on the Mormon side that I was once close to. Not to mention 40 + cousins some of which I used to be best friends with. Although I've never gotten any grief from any of them, and I'm sure they know ( no I've never directly come out to anyone in my extended family), I no longer feel comfortable going to family reunions and gatherings. But like I said, this is not a big deal to me. I don't want to be around them if they're going to be weird anyway.

#4 Rickystarr, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. Sandmann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow you know exactly how I feel then. Because what you worded is exactly how I feel and the situation I am in with them.

6. adawat95

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I did too and I posted a few days ago. I am really struggling to come out because it's a big deal in my family. I'm Mormon as well. I don't see why a god would give me these feelings and then tell me not to act out on them. I've always felt a little afinity for the same sex and I don't believe a God would do that to me if he thought it was a "sin". These feelings started to amplify after a sexual encounter with a friend and have been strong ever since. Being mormon was like being vegan (nothing against vegans) but I totally understand.