1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic family members?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by flavor, May 16, 2016.

1. flavor

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was talking to one of my aunts the other day and, to summarize, she talked negatively about areas with a lot of gay people.

It got me thinking about how a lot of the people in my family are Christian, like my aunt, and how they probably all frown on LGBT people. My immediate family is okay - I came out to them already and they're fine with it. It's my extended family that I'm worried about.

Mostly, I'm worried about the sheer number of people I'll have to shut out of my life or put up with because I'm bi. I also have friends who might be kind of uncomfortable with it, especially one of my friends who is a dedicated Christian. She's very open-minded, but her beliefs are a huge part of her life. It's hard to tell what will bother her and what won't.

Any advice? Please???

2. BinMS

Who says you have to tell anyone? There is only two people who need to know your sexuality, you and the person your sleeping with. Don't worry about those people finding out, until they do then do what you have to do. As for your friend if she really cares for you she will remain your friend, if she doesn't then she didn't care to start with.

3. alicetastic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really need advice on this too. Homophobic parents, sisters. basically everyone in my family are devout christian!

4. Fromslahen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would guess that your friend will be relatively grand with it, if she is as open-minded as you say. She may have problems with it at first, but if she's a good friend then she'll get over it. You might be surprised at how well she takes it! There's not a lot to be done about homophobic extended family unfortunately, so I'd say don't specifically come out to them at the moment. If they happen to find out, then ask your family to support you about the matter, but all in all they probably don't need to know, especially if they'll only be critical as your aunt was. Of course, situations can change so this advice isn't set in stone. Hope it goes well!

5. flavor

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for the advice!!