1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to C.o. to (males) Classmates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Inis, May 19, 2016.

1. Inis

I didn't know I would end up worring about Coming Out again and this is the reason why I need your help guys.

Let me explain you a couple of things before...

I belong to that category of people who find difficult to describe their self with just a label, because one of them ("lesbian") is too tight for me and the other one ("bisexual") is too large. So every time I could be in the position of come out clearly, I feel very uncomfortable because I know people want to no exactly what I am and they could think I'm not a "credible" person if I didn't give them a proper answer.

Basically I'm 22, I have a girlfriend, I'm attending a master degree course and during the afternoon, twice a week, I study english in a private school near my house.
    I've been studing there since the beginning of the year and I enjoy it so much, not only because the teacher is young and talented (ad hot...:grin:), but also because the classmates are cool and funny.

They're older than me (the avarage is 30 years) and they're all males.
    With a couple of them (teacher included) we are becoming closer, infact we're having a dinner together on this Friday after the lesson and I want to be "prepared".

They're very polite and educate people, so I know they wouldn't ask rude question, but, you know, it's normal - after a while - want to know more about the people you hang out with. So maybe they could end up asking me about a boyfriend or I could become mad hiding my relationship for too long.

The main point is I don't want they could label me as a lesbian, so I'd like to find a way to let them know that I am more than just a label and my sexuality cannot be blocked in a one impersonal category.

And I don't know what to do... Maybe all this has no sense at all.

I should answer "Yes, I have a girlfriend... *I inspect their reactions* ... we met almost 4 years ago because my ex boyfriend and I hung out with a group of people where she was in too" and afterwords should I add details about my straight-past-experiences? :eusa_doh:

I don't have problems with my "undefined" sexuality, because I live it freely anyway without hiding me; infact I came out to my parents saying them I was having a relationship with a girlfriend and adding "I am bisexual!".

I feel uncomfortable only when I have to justify my sexuality to other people, searching the correct words to let them understand something is actually very private.
    But I'm forced to add informations if I don't want to let them give me a definition.

My God... such a mess, isn't it? :icon_sad:

I hope to read your answer soon.

#1 Inis, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. Jeslee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What you were planning (mentioning you had a girlfriend that you met through your ex boyfriend) sounds good. Maybe leave it at that, and if they ask questions about a label maybe just explain how you don't like to label yourself- that you just like who you like. If the dinner already happened, how'd it go? I hope everything went well :slight_smile:

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ACH, I have this same problem of feeling like lesbian is too much of a box but bisexual seems too broad. I haven't had any relationships to casually refer to though so Id have to do a great deal of abstract explanation that I don't really want to do. I think you've got it down - referring to having had partners of both sexes in a quick and casual way like that seems the best way to go.