1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Courage for Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eko, May 21, 2016.

1. eko

eko Guest

So recently I've been putting off coming out and it's getting ridiculous. I know in order for me to start living as my true self and being happy I will need to come out but I'm terrified. This will be the second time I've come out (the first time it went horribly wrong and my mum now believes it's a phase) so it won't be a completely new concept for her. The first time I did it I told her face to face but I found that too difficult on both myself and my mum. This time I've wrote out a letter and attached a poem and a drawing to it to kind of show how I feel. It's been sitting in my desk for weeks now and at every opportunity I have I always come up with an excuse or put it off. I'm wanting to give it to her tomorrow morning as I'm going out shopping so that will give her time to think it through and then when I get back we'll be able to discuss it calmly but I can just tell that when it comes to tomorrow I'll chicken out.
    Pretty much I'm just looking for anyone to kind of encourage me into doing it and to kind of tell me that I need to do it in order to be happy and content with myself. If anyone is willing to do that for me it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can definitely do this. She might think it's a phase but if you're bringing it up again she'll realise that it hasn't gone away. The feelings are real and she'll have had enough time to mull it over and hopefully she'll have done some research. Speaking of research maybe if you print out some facts and information then she'll be more inclined to try to understand. The NHS site has a good page about gender dysphoria and the mermaids UK site also has some good information if you want to check it out.

You've got this, it might take her a while to understand and start being comfortable with things but she'll get there. It will feel so good to be able to be yourself, wear what you want, be called your name (which is an awesome choice by the way), for her to use the right pronouns. This isn't just for now this is the start of the rest of your life, even if it starts a little awkwardly it'll definitely be worth it.

If you ever need someone feel free to message me, I hope it all goes well. Let me know, yeah?

#2 Aberrance, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do it! I believe in you~! (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

4. whizbang

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You can do it!!!!!!(&&&):smilewave(*hug*)

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many years ago I did a 'full contact' marshal art. As part of my training I had to face a guy attacking me with a samurai sword. I found coming out more terrifying, but I did it and it turned out great.

It's OK to be scared sh1tless. But things will be a lot better when you don't have to hide who you really are from the people close to you.

Yes it is scary but you can do it and it will be worth it. (*hug*)