1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They have no clue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was speaking to my family about my future. They stuff about my wife. Basically saying I'm going to get married and all with a woman. But they have no clue, at all. I guess I'm really good at being straight. I think it's going to be tough on them to tell.

Obviously I'm not going to get a wife. So does/did your family have no clue?

2. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't know, haven't asked them, but since I was outed a long time ago, maybe the suspect something?

3. kettleoffish

Although I haven't actually told my parents, I'm sure they know. My brother too, although he goes to my school where my sexuality is fairly common knowledge (not by my choice) anyway.

It always seems to come as a sort of a blow when people tell their parents, especially if they are an only child, and the parents want grandchildren. The best thing that you can really do is have a long discussion with them, in your own time, when you feel ready. Purely out of curiosity, how old are you Jack?

-Jonny.

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    17, junior in high school

But I'm not gay at all in real life, so I wouldn't think I'm gay (steriotypes)

5. kettleoffish

neither am I, most people I tell (who don't already know from school) are really surprised, just my parents, especially my mother, know me really well, and she gives me sort of pointed looks whenever a gay character comes on on TV or in a movie or whatever, or when we're talking about one of her gay friends, or my cousin (who's a lesbian).

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Until I talk to them I don't know if they have a clue or not. The three people I'm out to had absolutely no clue, I'm very straight acting unless I'm around my sister or twin, I can be as flamboyant as I want around them

7. Bryan44

Im like that to, I think. I act gay if Im around gay people. But if Im around straight people you could never tell that I was gay.

8. EM68

After I came out to my parents I asked them if they had any idea and both of them said they did not have a clue I am gay. My sister said she was not too surprised especially since I hardly dated and never had a serious girlfriend. If you feel comfortable enough in telling them and think they will take it well go for it.

9. Lizz K

My mom knows and is extremely unhappy about it. But with her she's not worried about my future, her main concern is how my kid will feel with two moms...so it's hard to gauge each individual's reaction. Maybe wait a little while to tell them if you're afraid of hurting them.

10. kramer362

People say things like that, but it's not always the case that they have no idea. Your parents could be in denial, or they may have an idea and not wanna make you feel uncomfortable, or they could just actually have no clue.

I came out to some friends of mine, a husband and wife, separately. He said he was surprised, but had considered it in the past due to my not dating, but he figured I was just selective. His wife on the other hand knew. I knew she knew for some time, I can't put my finger on it though. I could just tell even though she never did anything to hint that she thinks I'm gay. Anyways not even two weeks before coming out to her, she somehow got to talking about the type of woman I'd marry. And to make it blatantly obvious I even said "You honestly think I'll marry a woman?" haha. And she STILL went on to say "yes" and describe what my future wife would be like. And yet after coming out she did in fact tell me she always figured I was, tried not making assumptions but had it in her head that I was. She basically wanted me to be comfortable and tell her on my own instead of drilling me.

Point is, it's tough to tell why people say the things they do, and talking about you having a wife doesn't necessarily mean they have no clue. At your age they may very well be clueless though, sometimes it takes til you're older and have gone your life without dating and deflecting women's advances for people to draw suspicions.

11. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guess your kid will have twice the love, eh?:thumbsup:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister said she guessed, although neither my parents nor my brother did. How old are you? If some time has passed, and you haven't mentioned any girlfriends yet, they might start suspecting. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Cotton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think my parents have any clue about me...but half the time i dont think they have a clue about anything. so idk if its maybe the fact that i dont seem gay or just them.