1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and the military

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gazwkd, Feb 28, 2009.

1. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Hey guys/gals

Just joined up, had never heard of this site before.

The names gaz, as the subject may enlighten you I'm in the british forces. I came to terms with my sexuality a few years back and am happy enough or should I say was.
    I kept my private life and my military life completely seperate. I didn't specifically go about hiding anything it's just my sexuality never came up (bi by the way :icon_wink )
    Any how to cut a long story short I've been seeing a lad for about 6 months and a female friend of his was sent out to Afghan to the same place as a bunch of my colleagues.. suffice to say I was told tonight that she has opened her mouth.
    I'm not particularly happy to say the least and a bit on tender hooks.
    I'm not sure if there is anyone else in the military on here.. I'm just a tad concerned about any fallout from colleagues and not sure what to do at this stage... :icon_sad:

#1 gazwkd, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  2. DexterMorgan

Welcome to EC!

You'll figure it out soon enough with some help from us.

3. EM68

First of all welcome to EC! Its a great place to hang out. I am not familiar with the British Forces, can someone be thrown out for being gay such as the US don't ask don't tell? That would be my first concern. Secondly, are you comfortable enough to talk about your sexuality to others also how do you think your colleagues will react?

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

The britsih forces are good with sexuality, we have a really good equality and diversity backdrop. However with it being the military there are still some downright homophobes. That's the big thing that concerns me really, those people who I think of friends having an adverse reaction.. it's just taken me a little by surprise finding out that certain individuals know although nothing has been said yet

5. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Firstly welcome to EC and yes you will find a great group of people from all over the world to support you. Lots of folks from the UK here. I am a retired policeman but don't know of any active military on EC. I guess being in the military,you are a microcosm of society in that there are straight as well as LGBT members. Do you have any gay support systems inside the forces? That might be a good place to go for help. What is the Forces' view on gays in combat? Will that defer you from a transfer to Aghan? After everything settles, you'll probably be talking to ms. chatterbox also. I'm sure that you will get thru this with our help and maybe some understanding members of the Forces. Hang in there, you can't find a better place for support......

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

There are quite a few openly gay guys/gals in the British Forces. If I had my time I'd have been open from the beginning about my sexuality, unfortunately it took a little time in me coming to terms with it.
    That's the problem now, I've worked with many people and some have some downright homophobic views. I still consider them mates as they haven't personally aimed anything at me.. but then that's because they don't know everything about me which is the concern..

As they say hindsight is a wonderful thing!

7. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yup I spent 20 years in the Police Force, in the closet. Hopefully you'll have a chance to do different. I left a post on your wall, by the way....Cheers!

8. briguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good question, I have a friend who is in the Canadian military and he is totally out to everyone. On the whole he has recieved support from all military personnel including his superiors. I can recount one or two times when he said he was harrassed although it was off ship at a bar when everyone was drinking. Fortunatly harrassment for being gay is not tolerated in the Canadian military. I know of several other gay people in the Canadian military who are out and are accepted. I can understand that it would be very hard to come out in this type of situation, but I imagine it is important to be confident and stand up for yourself.

9. Bryan44

Hey, welcome to EC!

I dont really know anything about being gay/bi in the armed forces, but it looks like you've got some good feedback so far.

10. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

aye I'm really glad to have come across this site, I'm definitely going to be sticking round here for the foreseeable future :wink:

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Hi Gaz,

Can only really speak from my experience of the TA (I know STAB).. anyways, what I managed to pick up really is that the whole homophobic attitude appears to be more prominent amongst Infantry these days, than the corps. Can I assume that you're infantry?

Either way, just be yourself mate. Don't let any slur get you down and follow the principle that if they are your true mates then they'll stick by you. After all, the Army is one place where you'll make mates for life. Stick to your guns, and then when you're back on tour, and the bullets start flying.. your sexuality really won't seem to matter any more.

Hope all goes well for you anyways!

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to the EC

13. kramer362

It's probably impossible to compare the British Forces to the US military, but I know the U.S. is pretty homophobic. That said, the Don't Ask Don't Tell bullshit seems to permit homophobia without repercussions, so there's nothing to deter it.

It depends who you are and where you're from though. I have 7 friends in the US military, only one of which I'm out to, but none of them are homophobic (I guess I chose my friends wisely before ever knowing I was gay). But the one who knows I'm gay has told me outright a lot of guys in there are homophobes. A lot of times guys tend to spew bullshit to up their street cred and sound tough, thinking no one they know is actually gay or bi, and would change their tune if they found out a friend was.

I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard any shit from people. Plus you look like youre well built from your pics :slight_smile:icon_bigg) , that doesn't hurt. In fact the Marine buddy I'm out to totally shamed some dude on his base in Iraq recently cause the guy was going on about how unnatural and sick the gays are and that there's something wrong with my friend for being cool with his friend (me) being gay. My buddy, who's pretty well built, goes "Or how about I just cave your fucking face in?" The dumbass knew he didn't stand a chance and walked away red-faced, haha.

#13 kramer362, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know one gay guy in the (Belgian) army. He's very open about it too. And he has rarely had any trouble for it. Some not-so-funny quips maybe, but nothing serious. And the several other people I know in the army (my brother amongst them) don't have any trouble with it whatsoever.

Homophobic comments can be a bit hard to interpret. I've found they don't always indicate a homophobic mindset. For many they're used as some sort of male bonding ("us real men, against the world of women and fags, raaaawrr!" :icon_wink). And even if they are homophoibic in general, quite a few people still stand by their friends (and create a sort of double think: gays are still awful, but not their friend. He's a cool guy that just happens to be gay).

15. riddlerno1

Hey mate, i dont know anybody in the military but usually is mostly the fact that people dont know about other sexual orientations which lead to homophobic comments. I think the guys and gals who are close to you wont really care and it may enlighten them to your situation. Oh and welcome to EC, its great to have you here and so proud of all the work u and the rest of the armed forces are doing!

16. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^^ amen to that^^ Support the Troops!!!

17. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Aye cheers guys, I'm feeling a little more upbeat today. I think in the main it was because it came out of nowhere and took me by surprise.
    I know I'm pretty fortunate in that our Equality and Diversity code is pretty rigid and there is a lot of protection afforded to the LGBT community.

18. Mickey

Hi Gaz,
    First,welcome to our EC family. I think that you're a strong person ,who can and will deal with this in a positive way. I think a lot of people who are/appear homophobic,don't really know any gay people.
    Once they do know,they're usually surprised that we all have more in common with them ,then differences. I hope all goes well for you. I'm sure with your great attitude,you'll be just fine. Mickey*

19. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    anyway bud, I think looking at your pics there has probably been more than just the queer soldiers casting a glance your way...Eyes front, soldier....ah to be single and 25 again...stop that!

20. tallship

I 2nd that:grin: and I want his dogs :icon_bigg:thumbsup: