1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by antarranger, Feb 28, 2009.

1. antarranger

Well I'm 16 years old i'm gay and not out at alll well to a few friends online. I have muscular dystrophy so it could complicate things. My paraents have no idea i'm gay. I want to come out but I have no idea how to say things or what to do or how i'm going to find a boyfriend.

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

There are many ways to find a boyfriend, there's is through friends, through the internet (i.e dating sites and such), and also gay social/support groups.
    As to your family, the only advice I can give is to only do it when you are 100% comfortable/ready to make that jump

3. Bryan44

Hello, welcome to EC!! :smilewave

What are your parents views on gay people? Do you think that they would understand and be accepting?

4. antarranger

I'm not sure to be honest they have never said anything homophobic or anti gay but i' don't know what there views on it are.

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

you could get a friend to open up the subject to them, not specifically mentioning you, just to test the waters so to speak

6. Noah

Take your time and be sure you're ready. And most of the guys I know wouldn't care at all about your MS btw

7. antarranger

Yea i guess so MD btw not MS different disease thanks for the advice.

8. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey welcome to EC guy. It's probably one of the most asked questions on the site and always a good one. But there is no one set answer just like no two people are alike. It depends on many things. Firstly as has already been mentioned, make sure you are/I] gay and not just going through a mid teen phase. You will know the answer to that better than anyone. Secondly in regards to your parents. How well do you communicate with them? Are you a tight and loving family? How comfortable do you feel about talking regular sexual topics with them or do you? Has your Dad or Mom ever done the 'birds and the bees' talk with you. A whole lot depends on you and how comfortable you are. Fill in some of the blanks here and then we can go from there on how to advise you. OK?

9. antarranger

I don't reily talk to them often about anything and i've never talked to them about that stuf. I'm very certain that i'm gay felt like i was different awhile back in time.

10. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Different like you are sexually attracted to guys and have no sexual interest in girls?

11. antarranger

yea i've always had attractions to guys never reily had any for girls.

12. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK, have you got any brothers or sisters that you have or can talk to first?

13. antarranger

I don't have a good relationship with my brother his always been a jerk to me never respected me for one second his in boot camp at the moment. As far as i can tell his homophobic i've herd him use the word fag and etc..

14. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, I've been running around the site here answering messages. Ok, do I understand that you have no close friends to talk to? Do you want to do this on this forum or do you want to talk to me on my wall? Doesn't appear to many around tonite. Up to you.

15. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    we've discontinued this on the forum...

16. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Colby go to your wall for my msg....Keith

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I am glad that you joined EC and I do want you to know that we are all here to help you.

Given that you are only 16 years old, there is no need to rush. Coming out is not a race. Rather it is a journey that can take some time but that is totally okay. Before taking that step it is important that you are comfortable with yourself and feel ready. From what you have said in one of your posts, it seems like that you have figured things out for yourself to a large extent which is great!

When you feel that you are ready to take that step, maybe try coming out to a close friend first, who you can trust then take it from there. When you do decide to come out to a friend, take him or her aside, which can make it a bit easier to open up. You could for example start the conversation by saying "I asked you to meet up with me here because I want to talk to you about something very important because I trust you. I want you to know me, the real me, without the hiding and facades. I'm gay." If "I'm gay" is difficult to say at this point, you can always talk around it as well.

Coming out to friends first can often help in building up the confidence and having support to fall back on. With time, you will feel and know when you are ready to come out to your parents/family.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Given that you have the feelings that he might be homophobic, I would suggest to take your time in coming out to him. As for your parents, always remember that they love you.

EC has just created a new "Coming out letters" resource page. Please have a look as it might give you some ideas. But again, do take your time. Coming out is not a race. Go according to whatever you feel comfortable with. If you want, perhaps try writing a letter and post it on the forum for input or further suggestions from fellow members.

But please, to take it one step at a time.

Stick around on EC. Try to get to know some of the other members. Often talking with others can help us to understand ourselves better. In fact, it can make our path clearer and we gain the necessary confidence that we need to move forward.

I hope this helps a bit!

18. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I doubt you're going to find a quality or long lasting relationship with another guy if you aren't out or at the very LEAST accepting of yourself. It's unfair and unrealistic. I only say that because having to hide your OWN sexual orientation can be jarring but having to hide someone elses or make them hide it can be far more difficult.

However, if you give some slack, and seek someone else like you or straight acting, you'll have a shot. And as for coming out, you can write a letter. Or you can just blurt it out. Do what you feel most comfortable with.

And don't let your brother give you shit either. Just because he uses the word fag or queer doesn't mean he'll hate you. You are his brother. Sounds like your brother just has some issues of his own. He's probably just taking things out on others.

19. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just wanted to update this post. Last nite was pretty quiet cause all you guys and gals were on the town so Antarranger and I had quite a long talk. He was more comfortable with talking on our walls so that is what we did. Antarraanger, I hope this doesn't put you in too bright a light but you are one amazing individual and will be an inspiration to everyone here.

This young fellow has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, which obviously is a disease that attacks the muscles and is responsible for poor muscle control. He has undergone surgery and had a spinal fusion and is confined to a motorized chair. He is bathed and helped out in everyday life by an aid, and because he missed so much school for surgeries, he is now home schooled. He lives in the US. He is gay. In talking with him, I'm sure he has no doubts. He is a very solid and confident young man in his sexuality and even said he thinks his aid is 'cute'. We are working together for him to come out to his parents and he has decided he wants to write them a letter much the same as some of you have done so we will be working on that.

He just wants to have a boyfriend and be happy in his life.

Makes our troubles look pretty small in the realm of things, doesn't it. I think this young man is the most amazing, and I say this with all sincerity, human being I have EVER met in my 57 years on this planet and I am awed and inspired by him.

By coming here, he has given each of us the chance to walk with him and support him and befriend him. Who knows, maybe he'll find the guy of his dreams at EC.

ANTARRANGER.....The epitomy of inner strength and human resolve. I love this kid....Keith

20. EM68

First of all welcome to EC! :smilewave This site helped me a lot over the past few months. Like Asteroid has said coming out is not a race. Take your time when the time comes you will know. I used a letter when I came out to my parents last week and it worked out well. There is no right or wrong way to write it. Just write it from the heart. If you need any help or advice we all can help you. That's what we are here for.

Keith in the short time you have been here you have made such a huge impact. Thanks! :thumbsup: