1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being out at Christian camp?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by trebella, May 24, 2016.

1. trebella

Out Status:
    A few people
    So this summer I'll be a counselor in training (CIT) at a lovely camp that happens to be Christian. Part of being a CIT is like doing a really long job interview. The person who decides if I get the job and can come back next year is incredibly traditional and conservative, and I really want to work there, so there's that reason to stay totally in the closet lest someone let it get out. Additionally, I'm just a little scared to be in such an intimate position with my fellow CITS and counselors and for them not to want to stay in a cabin with me anymore or worse, to be stuck with people bullying me about something very personal.
    However, I've made close friends at this camp and the straight girls always talk about what guy they have crushes on or tell stories about their first kisses. I really don't want to lie.
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Assuming you are saying you want to come out but are scared here is what I think.

Personally I think that since it is a christian camp there is a high chance that they won't be accepting of you and that could easily stop you from getting the job as they don't want you to "spread your sin to others".

But you do have the option to not mention it.

#2 silverdeer, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. guitar

I worked at a religious summer camp before I came out, and if I had to do it all over again, don't know if I would have come out. However, being female you might experience something different.

For the sake of your job - and I don't know your exact circumstances - I would probably tell half truths about your sexuality. "I just haven't found the one," or something like that. Being in the closet has its definite disadvantages, but I would carefully weigh the pros & cons of such a decision at a Christian camp run by a rather traditionalist person.

#3 guitar, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016