1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Casual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by erioed, May 29, 2016.

1. erioed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So this will be kind of my opinion on the whole "COMING OUT" thing. And it'll be loooooong.

I might be weird, but that's not what I want to do. I don't want to grab people and say "hey I need to tell you something, it's hard for me but you should know..." or "this is a scary thing to do but I have to tell you..." because I did it once, and it was HELL. I knew I had to tell my closest friends but there was like a knot in my throat and I was shivering. It was seriously a bad experience but I must admit, I was very relieved when I finally managed to utter a vague "I'm probably not straight" (this was two years ago and well, being "probably not straight" has evolved into "there's a small chance I have some straightness in me")

But anyway. After that bad experience and several months of overthinking and trying to come up with a label, you know, the usual, I decided that this is all b*ulls*it and that I don't want to make such a big deal of it. This has been after I label myself for myself "whateversexual" as I tell other people I'm gay because it's easier to understand. So the point is, I don't care about my orientation, it's nothing more than what I like and what I don't like, therefore people shouldn't care either; I won't go all around announcing my orientation to people because wow GUESS WHAT, it's not important. They're free to assume that I'm straight, which they probably do. But that's not to say I'm hiding it.

What I'm doing is just letting it slip in casual conversations. I just act like myself, agree on that girl over there being very hot, comment on "how lesbian I look today". Sometimes I get weird looks and I just *wink wink*, sometimes they just ask me "wait you like girls????!" and then I just have to say "yeah, want more beer?" I really think it's making it more easier, I don't have to prepare a speech nor write a letter, while people are not getting as shocked and asking questions that would make me roll my eyes aka "wow how did you know? Since when have you known? Do you like me/[insert girl name]?" as if I was doing it the traditional way and giving them time and reasons to process that incredible and surprising and life-changing piece of information.

So yep people, you don't need to sweat and go through a bad time if you don't want to announce that you're gay, or bisexual, or asexual, or bluejazzpianosexual. There are other ways and you certainly won't be less LGTB+ if you don't make the Confession :slight_smile: