1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EstoraIsSoQueer, May 30, 2016.

1. EstoraIsSoQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come out to a lot of my friends but whenever I try to come out to my parents, I get really awkward and don't do it. What are some good ways of coming out to them?:icon_bigg

2. Just Call Me Ky

I am a girl who at the moment is in love with a girl, I don't really want to announce my sexuality because straight people don't have to and I think in the future I will just hold my girlfriends hand in front of my parents and just do what an average couple would do and let them figure it out. Also if you can't say the words out loud you could write it all down and sit with them when they read it. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writing it down is certainly an option if you are struggling to talk about it and if you sit down and put some thought into what you want to say, a letter can be just as personal. You could even insert the letter into a nice card.

If you look under the resources tab at the top of the page there are some letters written by other members that may provide some inspiration.

4. bryaninau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is different for each person, I think some are very creative. You want to do it in a way that is very comfortable for you. If you are closer to one parent then the other try coming out to one first then the other at another time.

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people find just dropping it a conversation and then moving on to something else is a good idea. Others have handed a note to their parents with "I'm gay" on it.
    I came out to a brother in an argument! I told the rest of my family in a group text!!! Both bad ways of doing it, but it worked out fine.
    Do it when and how you feel it is best for you.
    It's normal to be scared sh1tless.

Best of luck (*hug*)