1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help my Friend Come Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ichasestarlight, May 30, 2016.

1. ichasestarlight

My best friend is bi, and, while he's very open about it with me and our close friends, he's really scared of his parents knowing. They're fairly religious people so they're opposed to the idea, but I've known them a very, very long time and I know they wouldn't react the way he thinks they would (he's afraid they would disown him or something). I know they would still love him. He really wants to tell them, but he's scared.

I come from a very, very liberal family, and I didn't even know coming out was a thing when I told my parents I was pansexual. It just wasn't a thing. I didn't even really tell them, I just started dating a girl and they didn't bat an eye. So I'm not a good person to give him advice. What do I tell him? Should I tell him to come out? Should I tell him not to? What's the right thing to tell him?

2. Just Call Me Ky

I am a girl who's in love with a girl and I haven't come out yet. My parents are also religious and disagree with the "lifestyle" but I too know they wouldn't disown me. When I come out I will want a friend there with me or at least close by after I tell my parents so I'm not alone when they are deciding how to handle the news. Even a place to spend the night so I can talk about how it all went and what might happen next. Being there and offering support could really help. Just ask what they need. Good luck to you and your friend.