1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a coming out letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Marcie, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Marcie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I am wanting to write a coming out letter for a few people in my family who I might have a hard time saying face to face that I am transgender. I'm not particularly gifted with words and am not quite sure what information might be useful to include. Any and all help is very much appreciated! <3

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Haven't had experience with coming out as trans myself, but I may be able to offer some advice. Coming out letters are a great idea so you can make sure they know everything you want them to and you can think about how to explain it to them.
    How you write your letter will depend a lot on how accepting you family is. But I think the best way to go about coming out is to not start with labels. If people aren't that accepting hearing a label suddenly can be scary and confusing. I would focus more on explaining your feelings, maybe start with how you came to the conclusions you did and talk about how you felt before, and how realizing your gender has helped you now. Maybe even don't use a label when you first tell them, just talk about it more in terms of how you feel and let them process it that way first so they can understand better.
    I don't know how your family is exactly, but I wish you the best of luck and if it is hard for a bit while they're figuring things out we're all here for you on EC.
    (&&&)

3. Marcie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks so much this really helps a lot :slight_smile: