1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am hesitating to come out to my older brother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just Call Me Ky, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Just Call Me Ky

So my brother is great and I am pretty sure he would be accepting but he has aspbergers and sometimes doesn't know how to react to things very well. Social situations aren't in his strengths and that is okay, but its hard to find a time where he is in the right mindset to have a this talk. He is my older brother and he would protect me when I was little (and I have had to protect him too) and he has his own opinions that are different from my parents' views (which are very religious and not accepting of LGBT) but I have never known how he feels about gay people.

Also I am afraid even if I explain how important it is to me that our parents don't find out, that he might tell them by accident or let things slip in conversation without realizing it. Also he is a terrible liar so if they asked I know I'd be out. I want him to know because I can feel at least partly safe at home knowing one family member accepts me for who I am. So should I be more trusting? or just keep it between me and my close friends and play it safe at home? I feel ready to come out to him but not really ready to come out to parents. What do you guys think? -Ky

2. Michael5

Michael5 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I came out to my older sister all went very well and she was very accepting of me and very supportive. If he doesn't have many social strengths you can always text him or write a letter unless you really want to tell him face to face. If you don't know his opinion you could bring up the topic of lgbt and see how would react. If he made a good reaction then there is no reason not to tell him. I wish you the best of luck! :slight_smile:

3. Just Call Me Ky

Thanks! I think I will try mentioning LGBT and see how he reacts. Glad everything went well with your sister. -Ky