1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a bit scared...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Deinna, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello!
    Ever since I fully realised that I am bisexual just a couple of months ago, I've worried about telling my parents and how. Everyone in my family is atleast a bit homophobic, especially my mother. She has said that it would be very hard for her to love me anymore, if I was a lesbian (I'm almost sure that it is same for bi too). She wouldn't probably throw me out of the house, but atleast our relationship wouldn't be nearly the same as it is now. My father is way more understanding. He has said jokes about homosexuals, but he has also said, that he would love me no matter what, so I'm less worried, when it comes to dad.

I have considered talking to my closest friend about this, and I'm probably going to someday, because she's always been on my side for so many years. But coming out to my parents, I don't know, if I should do it before I move out of my parent's house or after that, and how would I tell a homophobic family, that I like girls too :confused:

2. mirkku

Hei muru~ :slight_smile:

To wait until you move out of the house might be safer. Hopefully your mother will surprise you, and herself, by being more accepting when put in front of the fact that you are who you are, no more, no less, and if that means a bisexual woman, then she'll have to comprehend it.

The issue with telling them that you are bisexual is that they'd most likely not believe it until you bring a girl home. Or, even so, they will constantly bring up the fact that you might "still find a man" later in life. Hard to avoid if any of your parent or family member is in denial.
    At the end of the day there is little you can do about your mother having a hard time with the news or go in total denial. Not everything in this situation is up to you; she'll have to make efforts as well. A parent's love should be unconditional, in an ideal world, and I hope your mother will remember that (and feels that way daily).

Onnea matkaan!

3. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hei ja kiitos :slight_smile:

Really, thank you so much! Your words helped me a ton, especially, since my day wasn't the best :slight_smile: I'll try to keep your words in my mind, when I do finally come out to them :slight_smile:

Kiitos vielä kerran! ^^