1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I just get it over with?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RemakeJake, Jun 14, 2016.

1. RemakeJake

I'm 20 years old, living in Los Angeles, out to my friends, and I have a very gay-friendly family. BUT I haven't confided in them yet. They know, they all know, but we haven't talked about it and I still sort of hide it. I know they wouldn't care AT ALL, so why am I such a coward? I almost know for a fact that each year that passes, my mom's heart is breaking because I haven't confided in her yet. Why can't I just say it?

Not only that, but when I'm with my best friend, or even alone, I cannot say "I'm gay" nonchalantly and with conviction. I'm not ashamed of my sexuality, in fact I've had a couple of boyfriends, so why can't I just get past this? I'm almost 21 for goodness sake. Thank you guys so much.

2. nirosnoel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's very strange. Have you tried making a concrete plan to come out yet, or has it just been something you've been meaning to do?

3. RemakeJake

No plan.

4. Ravens

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

If you're struggling with the words 'I'm gay', how about just telling them that you're attracted to guys, if that's easier? Coming out can be hugely scary (I put it off for absolute years!), and there never seems to be the right time, but what I found helpful was sitting down with my family and just telling them that I had something I wanted to talk about, that I was really nervous about, and then it just came tumbling out.
    Maybe try practising alone until you feel confident in saying the actual words. Start off slow, with just 'I like guys' and then work your way up to 'yep, I'm gay' until it's easier for you. Take your time, you'll feel comfortable soon enough I'm sure :slight_smile: Best of luck!

5. RemakeJake

That's great advice. It's the word "gay" that I still don't feel comfortable saying for some reason. Thanks so much!