1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother confused about son coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by proudofhim, Jun 15, 2016.

1. proudofhim

I am really seeking some opinions here as the shoe is on the other foot in some regard to my son 'coming out'. My son told me he was gay over a year ago and in that time he has told some of his friends at school, told his brother and he would know I've told his father but we've to date (a conversation I want to have sooner than later) will know I've told his father who BTW is so fine about it.
    My confusion is I'm waiting for the day for a mother to say something to me that her child has told her or indeed a teacher as it's widely known in my son's year that he is gay nowl.
    So what is the best reaction when the day occurs that a Mum plucks up the courage to broach the subject about my son or indeed a tutor at school; a reaction that will by no means betray my son's confidence in me but equally a reaction that will show I am truly proud of him and in my view his sexuality is no consequence to his academic achievements and goals which is his focus currently.
    Obviously, days, months and years things will change but currently I'm now wondering how I'm best going to cope with coming out when the moment faces me!
    Love your opinions and advice.....

#1 proudofhim, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you already answered your own question. It would be nice if all parents were this supportive. :icon_bigg

3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like an amazing mother. I'm very little help to the issue, but your post is beautiful and made me smile. It's probably best not to have a scripted response for someone from the school or another mother, and evaluate the person's intentions before saying anything. To be quite honest, it's really none of their business, and perhaps that's even the best response in some situations.

#3 108, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016