1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad to come out once you're in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SnixxJuice, Jun 18, 2016.

1. SnixxJuice

I know who I am, but my family will say I'm a "confused teenager." My immediate family is very accepting and welcoming (which is true bullet dodging because my dad's a priest) but they (like the rest of the world) are way too quick to tell me what I am without even realizing it. I feel like if I had a girlfriend, that would avoid the "how did you come to this conclusion" and "you're too young to know what you are" conversations. I'm 15, and a pretty mentally advanced 15 year old at that. Anyway, do you have to have a formal coming out where you sit your family down and tell them or can you just say in a passing comment, "Yo, I have a girlfriend"? There's a good chance they know I'm gay already.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on your comfort level and in your expectation about how they will react.

There are people, like me, who prefer to sit down and talk about it. Others prefer the "Yo, i have a girlfriend" approach. Others prefer to not worry about saying anything and let the parents discover by themselves.

If you come out, do you think there would be any risk of strong rejection, to the point of generating danger for you? If yes, then it may be better to wait until you are independent so you can move out if things go bad. I hope, however, that is not the case.

But, like i said, it is up to you. Do you want to talk? Do you want to write a letter? Do you want to not say anything? Which would be more comfortable for you?