1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone who came out in college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sugarvenom, Jun 18, 2016.

1. sugarvenom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel so hopelessly behind all of my LGBT+ peers. If anyone could share any stories or advice about coming out in college, I would LOVE to read them!

2. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out in college. I had already gotten my bachelor's degree but was working on my masters. I started dating my girlfriend between the two and finally started coming out to my friends just casually as we were hanging out. I won't say that it has changed my life a whole lot, other than I am free to be myself. I found it easier to come out when I wasn't at home around family constantly. It doesn't matter when you come out, as long as you are happy!

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in college. 3 years ago actually. I was working on my bachelors degree at the time and just came out to my friends. It was met well with everyone. I went to University in a fairly liberal area (Denton) so I knew everyone wouldn't have a problem with it. Like taken, I have found it easier to come out when you aren't around people you grew up with. I won't lie, it did feel weird to me coming out in college. But whatever. There is never a wrong moment in time to come out. Young, mid-life, old. It doesnt make a difference.

4. ivanlf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I "came out" when I was 15 yo to my parents. I said "came out" because at that time I was preeetty confuse about what I really was (not that now I know 100% for sure hahaha), so I said to my parents that I was bi. It dropped like a bomb, really. They stood there, in shock. You see, my family it's very religious and they're from a tiny town here in Brazil, so they had not a open mind as now.

So, continuing, they tell me that what I was passing through was just a phase and all that stuff. By that time I was so confuse (soooo confuse) that I took their ideia and live with that for a long time (until 21 yo). In the time between (15 - 21) I actually started to date some girls and one of them became my girlfriend. Buut it last about 5-6 months, when I broke up with here. My mom, of course, wanted to know why I did that (because she was a nice girl and pretty hot, indeed) and we started to talk about my sexual orientation.

By the end, I explained to her (and to my father after) that I do like boys and girls, and that's a fact. They got pretty upset again and my father, specifically, was desolated (for real).

But now with 22 yo my parents started to live more easier with the whole ideia, my mom more easier than my father actually (he's kinda, an, does not bring up the subject you know; but my mother, waay more different haha).

So now, I am pretty happy, yes :slight_smile: After my parents and sister I told to some closest friends and now started to be more easier to tell people about me (well, not THAT easier but more easier than before), and so goes on. As you get more confortble about you and being happy independently what people say about you, you start to come out with no problem.

So, if you let me tell you a tiny advice: take your time :slight_smile: be confortble with the whole idea first and then start to tell to one person, then two, three, four etc. When you least expect, you already told to a lot of people and you can be yourself whenever and anywhere you want :wink:

5. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I started coming out as an undergrad in college. I say "started" cuz the truth is you're always coming out for your whole life but the first time you do come out is the hardest. I started dating a girl that was my best friend in HS my freshman year in college. And first came out to our mutual friend. Wasn't till a year or so later I came out to my sisters and then my parents. All with good reactions. With each one it gets a little easier and you get more confident in yourself. And it doesn't matter when you start coming out, if its MS, HS, college, after college, after a marriage. Everyone is different and as you look back on your life you will find yourself thinking "And I thought I was out then" Or "And I thought I knew myself then" Or "And I thought I was comfortable with myself then."

Even now as a Graduate student I'm still working on coming out. My extended family doesn't know, some friends don't know, I struggle to be out on fb or other social media. And everytime I move for an internship or a new school etc. I have to come out again.

What's important is to do what feels right to you when it feels right. No such thing as being behind. We all face things at different times in our lives.