1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to tell my girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 108, Jun 19, 2016.

1. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in a long term relationship with a girl, as a male. It's been over five years, but the last year has been a long-distance arrangement. She comes to see me about once every 1-2 months for a week. We had to separate for work/career opportunities, and the current plan will have her moving to my place in early 2017. We have discussed marriage, and are very happy together. We are both very sexual and there is a major fetish/kink dynamic to our relationship, so we openly discuss anything we are interested in, even fantasies and interest in other people.

The problem is that I am attracted to men, and always have been. I have been open with her about everything to do with sex, we openly explore new fascinations and fetishes together. I was into men before we started dating, but had never been physical. I have never mentioned this to her, and there's not much about me that would even indicate my sexuality, I'm a typical masculine male. There are some jealousy issues with her and other women, because I can be a flirtatious person and she knows I've had trouble with infidelity in past relationships. I once asked her that if I was hypothetically into men, if my interactions with them would somehow ignite less jealousy than with women. She told me that she wouldn't really be bothered about it at all. So, I am somewhat hopeful that we can reach an understanding about recent problems.

Since we have entered this long-distance arrangement, I've become increasingly interested in men, and recently had my first physical experience with a man. I had a clean record of being faithful with this wonderful girl, and threw it away. I've had issues in the last with cheating and this by far has been my longest relationship, one of the few where I've remained faithful. I want to come out to her so badly, and even admit to what I've done. I need to explore this side of myself, because it's eaten away at me for my entire life. I can't stand the thought that learning that I'm bisexual would change how she looks at me. She is an open person, with gay friends and supportive of their issues. She's even attracted to women herself and has told me her fantasies, but had very limited physical experience with them. But, within our relationship perhaps it could cause her subconsciously see me as less dominant, less masculine, or whatever, I really don't know precisely what it is that bothers me. Then, of course there's my infidelity to discuss. I want to come out to her, and if that's shrugged off and accepted without issue, then I can admit the more serious problem.

I guess I'm not directly needing to answer a question, but I have to vent somewhere. I'm not out to anyone other than the guy I spent time with, and he doesn't even know that he was my first. I have nobody to talk to here, I don't have any close friends that are gay either. I feel alone and desperately want my girlfriend to understand and be supportive. I can talk to her about anything in the world, she's the closest person in my life, knows more about me than anyone ever has, but this frontier is uncomfortable for me.

I'm so emotionally torn up. It's been a constant battle with my sexuality these past few months, even before I gave in and cheated. I've been a wreck and it distracts me from daily responsibilities and work. I have always been comfortable with the attraction to men myself, but never pursued it. It's only been recent that I feel less in control of those needs. I was always able to suppress it, and maybe that's why it's come back so strongly. I hate everything about this. I love my girlfriend but I can't handle everything that's happening with me alone, and worry that I'm going to destroy our otherwise perfect and exciting relationship.

2. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't contain it anymore after starting this thread. I told her everything, and it's not exactly being taken well. I haven't yet determined whether her reaction is to the fact that I'm into men, or if it's because I was unfaithful. She is bothered that I've been "lying" for the past five years, and that I could've told her anytime and it wouldn't have changed how she feels towards me. I don't get the impression that this is going to lead to breakup, but I'm leaving her alone for the day unless she contacts me first, because it's a lot to digest after spending so long with someone.

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey

Sorry to hear it didn't go well. I came out to my wife after 30 years. She took it well. But, you never really know. Giving her some time to process this and trying not to push too hard for answers from her right now is maybe about all you can do. She does need to know that you care for her and are willing to answer any questions she has.

My wife indicated that she was happy I didn't cheat (I came very very very close). But, she told me it would not have been a deal breaker. Hopefully, she will feel the same.

How both of you proceed really depends on what you want going forward and where you land on the bisexual scale. Good luck! Keep posting if you need help.

4. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Her initial reaction seemed odd to me. I prefaced my admission by telling her how important it was to listen and be understanding, went over my feelings for her and how much the past years meant. Her response to me liking men, before I admitted cheating, was something along the lines of "I knew I would never be able to give you what you want". She sent me a couple of messages along these lines, and it actually made me a little angry that she would make the conversation about her when I'm trying to confess my deepest secret to someone who has been the love of my life.

I'm so tore up today I had to call into work. :tears:

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had that fear myself so I can put myself in your situation. I had the best case reaction, I suppose; but only because we had been married so long. Even with that, my wife still doesn't quite understand how intense these desires are.

Your girlfriend is still struggling with how this affects her. She may not know, you may not really either, just how gay you are until you really try and understand your sexual attractions and needs. Is there room for both her and men in your life? Is she O.K. with sharing? All of these take some reflection and time.

Don't expect an answer right away and don't be disappointed when she seems like she is changing the rules.

The good thing is that you came out to someone. Once the dust settles being able to be honest with someone will be so much better. I hid for so long that it kept the real me, in a lot of ways, from coming to the surface.

6. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, she's coming into see me today. I'm going to have an awkward, sad conversation in about five hours. I badly want to be "allowed" to explore with men while dating her, but I don't think that's going to be a possibility. I haven't suggested that, but she's already said something along the lines of "if you loved me you wouldn't want to sleep with other people". It's difficult to explain how the attraction to men is different than with women, and how even the sexual urges seem to come from somewhere else. It's not the same sort of satisfaction. I barely understand it enough to describe, so it's impossible for her. I guess that would be the best possible result from this, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to end up choosing between staying with her while ignoring my growing interest in men, or letting myself be single so I can figure everything out. It's more about self discovery than getting laid or finding a romantic connection with someone else, but she won't understand. It's black and white to her, she says she has no problem if I'm interested in men, and that she even suspected it in some ways, but the cheating is heartbreaking. To her, it's separate issues, but for me it's all the same because even though I feel guilty, I'm also glad I did it for myself, and I want to again. I also don't want to hurt her, or lose her because I so feel like we're in love. Ugh. It's so confusing. Thanks so much for sympathizing with me and helping.

#6 108, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey

I know exactly where you are coming from. The only reason I didn't cheat on my wife was because she is so freaked about STD's. Putting her at risk would have made me feel bad. But, I never felt like she owned my gay desires and it had noting to do with her.

I don't know how to explain that to your girlfriend. How can she understand that there can be room for both sexes for some of us? That is if you are bi. If you are gay then you may not be able to love her the way she needs.

Whatever you do, you need an outlet for your gay side. My wife and I have decided I need this or I will be too unhappy to be a good husband. It is not about loving her, it is about you being fulfilled enough to really love her. I am so much better for my wife now that I am out. I chose my wife exclusively over men for thirty years and it was a mistake. I could have been a lot better person had I embraced all of my sexuality earlier in my life.

It sucks, but you are probably better off letting her go than living something you are not. Good luck.

8. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She came in Tuesday night. It was almost like nothing happened, she was excited to see me and maintained her usual personality, she didn't seem to want to talk about anything. But as we were going to bed she finally broke down. There were a lot of tears and I had to say a lot of uncomfortable things, trying to explain everything that's been going on with me. She would fluctuate from angry, to sympathetic, to uncontrollably crying, cycling through emotions and telling me that she wants to be angry but that she doesn't feel like she's allowed. It seemed like she thought is was her fought, that I went looking for something she wasn't doing for me. I did everything I could to explain how I needed to explore, that the attraction fulfilled something that was indescribably different, not competiting against our relationship. She eventually came to the solution that she "can be okay with this", saying that if I have to persue this she would understand. She kept repeating it through the night until we finally fell asleep together.

The next day, she was a little colder in her interactions with me, but only slightly. It was obviously still bothering her, which is understandable. She kept saying things like "you don't get to be mad at me" or "you don't get to tell me no" when I'd goof around with her or whatever. We ended up having some rough sex, but something felt odd. We went to sleep and while we usually cuddle through the night, this time she wouldn't allow me to touch or kiss her. I ignored it and went to sleep.

Thursday she was far colder and outwardly angry. I tried everything I could to cheer her up, she still held conversation with me, we went out to eat, came home and instead of sex somehow I ended up performing oral on her without any penetration, which is rare and she seemed to want me to be teased or whatever. That night in in another long talk, but this time it's like the acceptance she had Tuesday night was forgotten. I had to practically beg her to stay the night, even though she planned to leave early this morning (Friday). I was finally allowed to touch her while we slept, but left clueless on where we stood.

So now she's gone, it doesn't seem like we'll be breaking up, but after these past few days I don't feel any better about anything.

I have a date with the guy again tonight. I guess that might cheer me up, but I'm probably going to slee with him again. I'm very attracted to him and my girlfriend both, and nothing has seem to be cleared up for me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, if both were female it would seem respectful to break up with my girlfriend and pursue the other, but with one being a man and giving me a whole separate set of feelings than the girl I've been dating for five years. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, so for the moment I guess I need to wait and see how she adapts and what we talk about from here. I'm going to be a real asshole and go see this guy tonight. I feel like I have to do it for myself, I want to badly.

9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does she know you are seeing the guy?

10. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, she doesn't know, and I won't be telling her anything else. I have to figure this out, I can't ignore it or simply end it with my girlfriend. It's what I should do, I know.

11. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get acting on the urges.

Now that you've been with a guy, could you give it up for your girlfriend if she demanded it?

12. DanielaMaiden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    End it with her, you scum. You are not only a cheater but also a liar. I've been there and done that (both girls, though)... You'll just feel even worse if you keep being with her. It just won't be the same anymore and you will hurt her more at the end, and you seem to be into this guy a lot, so come on. Be single, make up your mind and do not hide it next time.

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty harsh DMaiden.

Look, I don't believe in cheating but I came minutes from doing just that. Why? Because, truly, a part of me didn't really believe it was. And, surprisingly, my wife agreed when I told her. So, I don't think we get to judge here.

14. DanielaMaiden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not judging him. I actually understand the guy. I've done it (many times. Sadly, I don't seem to learn) but he cheated on her and with a man when she didn't even know he was interested in guys, too. The relationship is just too broken and he certainly wants to keep exploring with guys and believe me, nothing is going to stop him from doing it. He will feel guilty, because cheating feels awful. And she will be hurt badly, worse if possible. So what is left? Just end it with her.

15. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I called off the date and now I'm simply sitting home alone, texting her about things. I am undeniably an asshole and deserve the harshness, and I've already called myself every awful thing imaginable. The guilt and confusion is unbearable, but the thought of leaving her is heartbreaking. It's probably necessary, dragging this out is simply sadistic and unfair to the girl.

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, your urges to explore your gay side (if you are bi) is not something to be ashamed of or feel guilty about. You did a good thing by calling off a sure deal with something you desire. This takes a lot of self control.

You do need to get to the bottom of your sexuality to be sure that you are bisexual and not gay. As a bisexual I have done this a couple times in my life. When I was a young man twenty or so, and just recently as I was trying to figure out what to say to my wife.

If you are bi, like me, your girlfriend may be able to accept this and still keep a relationship going. It is hard to have both. I am working on this right now with my wife. Total honesty is required. Trust is important too, and your infidelities may make that more difficult. But, you did stop now. As a guy attracted to guys I know how hard that is and should count for something. Ultimately, this is a decision you make together.

Try not to be too hard on yourself.

17. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: I need to tell my girlfriend

I have no idea how to define my sexuality. I am physically more attracted to women, I can simply look at a girl and be aroused. That doesn't really happen for men, there has to be some sort of connection, not necessarily romantic but there has to be something there. I have also found myself drawn towards non-binary types of people, which isn't entirely a physical thing either. I don't know if I could see myself in a serious relationship with a man, so they sit in this weird area between physical and romantic attraction, but that could be inexperience, social conditioning, or whatever talking. I would call myself pansexual rather than bisexual because my criteria for attraction isn't rigid, each person could appeal to me in different ways, physically or through some sort of personal connection. I find my attraction to men growing which is what lead to all this, but it's not completely physical. I haven't explored myself enough to consider all the labels out there, maybe things would shift if I was free to experience more possibilities. It would've been easier if the person I cheated with had no connection with me, but instead this guy was incredibly sweet and we got along great, I want to spend time with him and not simply explore sex. I don't feel like I could be in a serious relationship with a guy, but that does seem to be what he's looking for at some point. If I even worked things out with my girlfriend to be allowed to see men, there's not a chance this guy would want to be involved with someone in an open relationship. I've only had a couple dates with him, so it's definitely not serious enough to choose over my girlfriend, but it would be a little saddening to not see where it could go.

I just have to sit here and think. The obvious solution is to break up with her, explore with him and be fair to them both. I don't know if I could handle it though, 5 years is 5 times longer than any other relationship I've had in my life. Until these gay urges came back so strongly, I've never had such a strong connection with anyone in my life. I'm not going to be able to replace that connection, that closeness, and history with someone else. Even though it's long-distance, we had four years living together and building a life. 6 months ago, without question this was the woman I wanted to marry. I went from being madly in love to confused so quickly.

I am literally repeated myself now. Sorry. It's difficult, I half write these posts to work through things myself, writing it down seems to focus my thoughts. You've been helpful here, thanks a lot, really.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know you sound pretty bi to me. My first love was a boy so I know how you can actually love both men and women. In my view it feels normal...that's sort of what being bisexual is.

This is really a tough spot to be in. I understand the different attractions to men and to women. And, I want both. I chose my wife but I desire men constantly. I know if I was with a man, I would desire women. You could be happy with your girlfriend...I was satisfied for 20 years. But, the attractions to men will not go away and you will be my age trying to satisfy them again.

I started blaming my wonderful wife for my lack of man sex...not fair. She became an enemy of my sexuality. This is marriage destroying. So, if you are to stay with your girlfriend she needs to allow you some outlet or it will explode.

19. DanielaMaiden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry, but she doesn't. Being bisexual and having these urges to be with men doesn't mean that it's okay to cheat, or that she has to put up with that. That's one of my main problems with bisexual people. But, you are right. The urges won't go away. If he feels that he needs to explore his sexuality right now to not regret it later in life, he definitely needs to end it with her.

And you, I'm not judging you at all. Again, I've done it many times and I know that it's too hard to resist. But both, you and I, have been assholes, so I'm not going to support you in this one. You know you suck for what you've done to her, but it's not gonna stop. It feels awful, I know. But it's your fault. Now she knows and it's definitely not gonna be the same. It's just not going to. You need to be alone to explore. You can't take her with you and make her accept that. You are a fucking piece of trash. She deserves better. (Don't take it personal, it's like if i was saying that to myself, honestly) I know in these situations we need someone to tell us how it is. So there you have it.

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danielamaiden

No, it is not O.K. to cheat. But, it is O.K. to have an open relationship as long as everyone is into it and it is clearly defined with clearly understood boundaries. Some partners are accepting and understand. I am just saying that he needs to give his girlfriend the opportunity to see if that is something she wants. In my case, my wife is not "putting up with it", she is embracing it because we really want each other to be happy.