1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3n, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anxiety's a bitch.....
    My grandmother is very liberal, and one of her best friends is gay anyway. I know she won't care, but I'm still nervous about it. I've tried coming out to here before a few times, but I'm always too nervous. I'm not sure If I can even get rid of anxiety, but is there anyway you guys know how to get over coming out anxiety? Anyway, thanks in advance :grin:

2. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Almost everyone suffers from some degree of anxiety while coming out.
    I think you should not focus on getting rid of the anxiety, which is normal to have - just man up ;-) Don't think too much about things - simply decide for yourself how and when you want to come out to your grandmother and just do it ;-) And yes, you will feel anxious and your heart will be racing and you will feel an adrenaline rush - but so what? These things won't paralyse your vocal chords :slight_smile: Just get it over with - the more often you hesitate, the more difficult you make it for yourself. Say to yourself: I don't want this to go on forever, I will tell her next time I see her.

3. alienatedapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Anxiety was/is a big part in me being mostly closeted still. I would be on the verge of coming out and then have a panic attack and chicken out. From what I've learned, is not really something you start to get over until you've done it a couple of times. Once you know you're ready, you gotta make a promise to yourself, hold yourself accountable. Tell your grandma you have something to tell her, it'll be harder to chicken out then. Try not to overthink it, or you'll always be too scared to try. If your grandma is liberal, remind yourself that you're good nothing to worry about!