1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initially wanted to tell the world - and now what ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConsciousRose42, Jun 21, 2016.

1. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello when I woke up to being a gay women I was so liberated that I wanted to tell the world and went around telling strangers :slight_smile:

Now I don't know about telling some other people for example my work - I feel I will be judged as I was previously with a male ...
    I fear people will treat me differently
    But the other part of me is like 'this is who I am I am proud '
    Also I have a bit of me that is like 'it's no ones business what my sexuality is !

Confused ...

I want people to know I am a gay women - I want to start living it and part of that is letting people know

Also I haven't told any one in my family -
    I don't know if to tell my father now or when I enter into relationship ....
    I guess the fear is he will reject me somehow -
    The thing is he has always loved me unconditionally why would he change now ??

2. kateles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just came out last week and I know exactly how you feel! I have told maybe 5 people so far - well there are about 15 if you count the people in the Veterans Pride support group I went to today.

I, too, am confused and hoping this forum will help. I am what someone termed a "late in life lesbian" - I am 68. My family? I have 3 sisters and that is it. I am trying to operate at this time on what they called when I was in the Ar,y a 'need to know basis".

And it is very hard.

Kateles

3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    every time i see someone who i think might be gay i somehow want to let them know, for absolutely no reason. i don't understand why, i guess its because i'm new to it, lonely and want friends. but i don't, cause i'm shy, haha.

#3 108, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. auri7

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes!

What drives me especially crazy is one second I'll be so absolutely certain I want to tell somebody, like my best friend or one of my brothers, and just within the amount of time it would take me to get my phone to call them, I pull a complete 180 and stay quiet.

I completely empathize with coming out at work. Even though I know my bosses and coworkers wouldn't be jerks about it, there would be comments and teasing, not to mention a whole bunch of questions since they know I've dated guys before.

This also hits close to home. I've had a kind of rocky relationship with my dad, but ultimately I know he loves me. He's seen how sad I've been lately, and he says all he cares about is me being happy and that he'll do anything he can to help with that. Then again, he's made some comments about the LGBT community before that make me a little wary. I also have this weird complex that he loves me only because I am his daughter - his flesh and blood - and not for being me. And if he doesn't really love me for me, what's going to happen when I come out and am not his perceived version of what his daughter should be? Does that make sense?