1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hint that I'm bi?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

So, I want to come out to my parents, but the only problem is I don't know what a good way to do it would be. So, I thought that there might be some way that I could hint towards it and let them come up with a conclusion on their own. The only problem is I don't know exactly how I'd do this. Anyway, if any of you know how I could do this, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If your parents as you "when you get a girlfriend..." you could add in "or a boyfriend".
    It's pride month so you could go Over The Top with pride stuff in your room
    If you like eating, create a cake and colour it with bi flag resembled icing
    You could talk about a male celebrity you like in a show, and then later within that week talk about a female celebrity you like in a different show

3. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out as bi seems easy but might be the toughest of all, since society misunderstands it the most. Do it the way that feels simplest to you, like the above post said, when they said girlfriend, you could just add, "or boyfriend or whatever."

4. Embi

Embi Guest

I do the girlfriend/boyfriend-thing the others already suggested. It does work to some degree, like my family notices it, but they don't really get it. I believe they think I am just confused. That's always the problem with bisexuality. Depending on how much they know about bisexuality, it could work better for you though.

You could also talk a lot about lgbt+ issues and put pride stuff everywhere and then hope someone asks if you are gay so you can say "No, I'm actually bi". Another subtle way would be to say "Oh, my colours!" when you see the colours of the bi pride flag somewhere. They will probably ask what you mean and then you can say that they stand for bisexuality. I did something similar with my friends :slight_smile:

5. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My child had to tell me. After, they pointed out some of their hints. I wasn't clued in until they flat out told me. In hindsight, I can now see some of the hints.

So speaking as a cis old guy who only within the last month even heard of the term cis, just tell them.

I'm a parent. I love my child. I don't care what is between their legs. I don't care what they want between their legs. I don't care what they find attractive between others legs.

Until I was hit over the head, I didn't understand what was being hinted at. You've got to be more obvious to us old dads that had never even heard of things like NB before. Yes, I had heard of bi, but didn't really understand. Probably still don't. :slight_smile:

6. Secondrate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a lot of us can understand why you'd want to hint at your sexuality rather than just tell them. It's a scary idea for most of us, but a necessary one nonetheless. The other posters have given you great ideas as to how you could hint towards being bisexual, but I have to agree with Reggie.

If you were to explicitly tell them that you are bisexual, not only does that get the point across clearly, but going to them and talking to them shows your parents that you trust them, you care and love for them, and you want to make sure that they can understand their child. See what I mean, it is the best way to maintain a healthy relationship with your parents, as instead of dropping hints, it shows them that you are brave and you trust them.

Best of luck friend, I hope you have an amazing week. :slight_smile:

#6 Secondrate, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016