1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cmcswell99, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Cmcswell99

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, I'm a 17 year old girl and I am having trouble. About a year ago I started getting feelings for my best friend ( a girl ) and I pushed them away for as long as I could but they kept popping up. I thought nothing of it, we are very close so I thought it was just stupid little feelings. Since then I have realised I am attracted to some other girls as well, until then I thought I was straight because yeah I've had crushes on boys before but I've never actually had a relationship with a boy, or a girl for that fact.
    I'm ok being bisexual but I'm scared that I'm not actually, for a few reasons, I keep thinking that I only want to kiss my friend because we are so close. My Mum is ok with other people being gay but I have no idea how she would react if I told her I was bi, my dad on the other hand is completely against the whole thing. I'm the first person in my family to be gay and I've had no one to talk to about this.
    I've kept this in for a while and all I want to do is tell someone but I can't take it back if I do!
    Please any kind of feedback on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

You have come to the right place for advice. Welcome to the site.

First of all, you are a human being with real feelings and emotions. Nothing about what you're feeling is wrong. You can't control what you feel and it is totally, 100% okay.

It can be really hard to not know your sexual orientation, especially taking into consideration what people may and may not accept as well. But notice I said as well. The reason people have a hard time accepting things is because they haven't had exposure to them. They hear about some identity or trait, form an opinion about it, and go based on that. But really, they've never met a person to explain to them their real feelings to show them that they are wrong.

People can come to accept things in time, but what's more important than anybody else's opinions and beliefs, is your own feelings and your own identity. Only you can decide what identity is true for you, and what feelings are "right", nobody else can.

My advice, if you're still questioning, is to be patient with yourself first. Nobody can know everything about themselves right away, especially since we are always changing and growing. The best way humans learn about themselves is through experiences. So it may take time, but try not to focus on labels. That can complicate things, especially if you get really attached to one label and find it's not quite fitting later. Labels and words were created as a simple way of describing the vast and complex feelings and attractions we have as humans. So it's best to understand the feelings first and foremost. And also: it's okay to change your mind. You're not locked in as soon as you think you're one thing, although society may make it seem that way. Because at the end of the day, you know yourself the best and you may get to know yourself more through experience and time, so it's all okay!

Try not to worry so much about coming out just yet if that's not something you're ready for. You also don't have to come out to everyone at once. Maybe you just confide in one friend for a while, maybe not. It's 100% up to you. Give yourself time, relax, remember that your feelings are okay, and it's also okay to take the time to understand them. You don't owe anyone anything: not an explanation, not fulfilling their expectations, not an identity they might understand more based on their current knowledge. It's all up to you and what feels right to you, and it's okay if it takes time to get there, and it's okay if not everyone will agree with you. In fact, it never happens that everybody agrees on one thing, and when it comes to your identity and feelings, it's really only your opinion that matters.

I hope this has helped and I wish you the best of luck. Once you make 10 posts in the forum, you can chat with people on their walls so if you'd want to chat more I'm here!

3. Cmcswell99

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you soo much for that advice!
    I've never had anyone to turn to and now I feel I have a better understanding of who I am and what I should do. it has really made and impact ❤️