1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unicornswag, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Unicornswag

I feel ready to come out, but only to my best friend. We have always been very close but recently we have gotten even closer, so i feel like i can talk to her about my feelings. I just dont know how to do it if that makes any sense.

My whole life i have NEVER spoken to anybody about my feelings and emotions so I'm just scared that im going to mess it all up or miss things out. It's really starting to get me down because i just want to talk to her.

Please help if you can :frowning2: thanks

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Hey, first off you're super brave and you should give yourself a big hug just for considering doing this. Coming out is hard, especially when you don't normally talk about deep things, and especially when it's the first time.

I came out to my best friend a few years ago, and somehow it was super agonizingly hard even though she's bi and super accepting. It can just seem really huge in your head, because it takes some vulnerability.

Yet today, I'm very open with her and not very worried about coming out to friends who ask.

Remember, there are a lot of ways to come out and no way is wrong or less good. You could set up a time to talk, just spill it out, you could write a letter or a text. Anything. Sometimes it can be hard to plan it and then get the words out, so that's why setting up a time to talk could be helpful.

When you're nervous about coming out, it can be easy to build it up in your head and think things like "Doing it this way will be so awkward" "She's going to feel awkward" "Maybe I should just not say anything", but I promise none of those are true. I don't think it can ever truly feel like the right time to say something serious when you're nervous, but I promise if your friend is accepting she'll just be honored that you wanted to tell her and she wouldn't want you to be worried.

When coming out, it can sometimes be like ripping off a bandaid. You build it up in your mind and it may be really hard in the moment, but once you're done it's a huge weight off and you wonder why you ever thought it was so hard in the first place!

I hope this helps and best of luck!! You'll do fine! And also, it's okay if you have to take a couple tries to get the words out. It's natural to feel nervous, but regardless of how it goes or when, just know that even considering coming out is very brave so good job!

#2 bubbles123, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Unicornswag

Awww thank you :slight_smile: its like you're in my head and you know exactly what I'm thinking! Thank you so much, this helped a lot