1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kaster, Mar 8, 2009.

1. kaster

And does anyone else?

Since I've come to university I've been more openminded and open in general about just being myself, not really caring, liking who I like etc.. since I'm from a small town gossip spreads fast so I'm not like that at ALL there because everyone is sooo judgemental. Any guy that's gay people are very accepting there but if its a lesbian.. I dont know it just seems to be a complete taboo and awful and disgusting.

In high school (I've spoken about this before) I got a bullied for a bit just because I got my hair cut short to see what it was like (awfulll) and got called names and there was rumors that I was gay etc (I was only 13 too..) so I just, I dont know if "shut out" is the right phrase because I didn't really ever actually like any girls in my school or any of my friends in any other way than friends, so it was never an issue. But I was very closed about sexuality stuff and just openly talknig about straight stuff..

So I'm much more happy to be really open etc at university and only 2 of my friends from home know anything about me seeing a girl for a bit or anything..
    Anyway I was at this party last night in a different city when lots of my best friends from back home live and it was just loooads of people that I never really see anymore, which was nice. But it made me realise how much I'm so happy I'm not there or not home that I'm where I am. And it made me remember how much I dislike so many people from where I lived..
    What this was about though was that one girl (that I really don't like very much...) a year younger than me had taken a MDMA pill and was pretty out of it and I just asked her if she was ok and she looked at me and said really loudly "I heard YOU were a LESBIAN" in a really disgusted voice.. and I was like "well I'm not.." and she said "well I heard you were bi then" and I said again that she's heard wrong and that I wasn't and she just gave me this REALLY hateful look and said "well it's what I heard.." and I asked who from and she just said oh everyone used to say it... I was SOOO tempted to just say "well I've slept with YOUR boyfriend!" as I had a one night stand with her current boyfriend about a month before they started seeing each other.. but I contained myself and just walked away.

But what I'm wondering is if anyone else is COMPLETELY different from group to group, if I were where I live and someone said anything about it I'd be like... ok? so what if I was? but when I'm with people from home I get SO defensive...
    It made me REALLY upset though cause I don't want anyone to think I am from home just cause it's such a wrong and gossiped about thing there.. and I've already said it's not for guys at all everyone is SO accepting of gay guys at home, its really weird that it's not the same for girls..:icon_sad:

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think lots of people do it, and it think it all stems from feeling comfortable in your surroundings. I know that I like to fit in with everyone around me so to a point I act differently with different groups of friends. But also I think im quite shy so I tend to really hold back my personality unless I feel comfortable with the people around me and the situation im in.
    Sometimes it is hard especially when you come from a small community and everyone knows everyone elses business and has an opinion on it. Also Uni was like a fresh start for you and so you have been more honest and open from the start, its much harder I think to change the way you act around people you have known for longer, it becomes almost habit and you just fall back into it without realising, or I do sometimes.

3. Dazed

Dazed Guest

KAT. KAT. KAT.
    when i came out to my group of friends it was ok because i knew they were okay with people being gay.

but the rest of the school is another story. i live in a redneck state.
    where most peopel consider being gay wrong. so i would always get mad if someone outside my friends asked me about being gay.

okay now on to this girl. i would have told her i fucked her boyfriend. and then just walked off. and she would have been wtf and all uber pissed haha :]

seriously i would ahve kicked some ass dear.

4. SexyTimeInTent

Southend-On-Sea, Essex, South East, England
    dw, I think loads of people do that at some point, most of my old friends and some of my closest current friends are bi, but for years (before any of us had even told each other) if anyone asked us if we were gay or bi, we would all deny it. telling the truth became really difficult when we did come out, in fact to try and defend myself I accidently outed one of my friends in an argument that it's completely normal. and even after I'd come out to most people I knew at school and at home, I still lied about it at my old job, because when I'd only been there for a little bit they had a discussion about one of the girls who worked there at the time and were slewing her cause she was bi and had told one of them that they were the first girl she liked, so for about a year I claimed to be straight I even went so far as to call my gf my bf and invent a new name and such. eventually I told them the truth when me and her broke up, but it was hard. so I think alot of people do do that!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wise not to get involved in a tiff with someone you're not a fan of, and who you're not going to be seeing much of anyway. It would've been a good time to pull out the "Why? Are you asking me out?" line when asked if you were a lesbian, though.

Lex

6. kaster

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I spent about an hour on the phone to one of my friends and talked to her about it and as soon as she got off the phone she called that girl up and shouted at her down the phone and I got a few apology texts about how wasted she was and she was sorry etcetc. Meh over it. Had a maaaagic night out on Sunday night which made up for it.
    Thanks :grin: And Lex I wish I had said that it would have been FUNNNYYY :slight_smile: x