1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying not to lose it....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Mar 8, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am ticked off right now. My husband came home from his right-wing church and tells me that MY aunt and uncle were mentioned. I said "for what?" They are putting together a group of people here to censor books in our schools and they don't like the way kids dress these days. OMG!

If they try to pull one book educating people about homosexuality, I am going to have to take a public stand against my own family. It sucks but I won't let them do it. I will bring every PFLAG mom I know to the school board to give testimony. :tantrum:

By the way, a few weeks ago I saw this aunt and uncle's middle child who is about 50 years old in Walmart. He was with his 20ish year old girlfriend and he had his hand down the back of her pants. I think they should worry about what's going on in their own backyard myself! :bang:

2. EM68

I hate how in 2009 people try to sensor books. I really think some people have way too much time on their hands trying to tell others how to live. Give them hell Becky!

3. donnie5

wow that ridiculous people always do that though they go after other people before worrying about themselves... im sorry to hear that you might have to go up against your on family though that sucks

4. Melissa

Agreed!

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    go becky make a stand someone has 2 its 2009 for gods sake :bang:

6. Bryan44

Why do people think they can censor everything?? Omgawd get a life!!!
    Just because something is censored doens't mean it disappears!!!

7. sdc91

1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    1st Amendment
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Greggers

In elementary schools and high schools to a degree, i can see censoring some books with sexual or violent content not suitable for the age, but that should already be in place.

My school tried to censor anything with strong ties to "magic" (harry potter for one) because it was a Christian school and this is in the bible as being bad. I think THAT is taking it to far.

But on the other hand, i think schools need to have books with homosexual people in them. Censoring 7-15% of the population is wrong. Schools should teach acceptance and equality! I remember all my books in school were required to have racial and gender diverse content (so all the pictures were of male/female people from all races). I think this should be extended to having diverse couples of people to.

As for dress code, this should be a school to school policy. I can see not wanting 8 year old girls in mini skirts and spaghetti straps, because that is turning the little girls into sexual objects (people dont wear low cut things "to look good" they wear it to attract people) but every school should have the right to a "dress code" of there own. My school had a "two finger width" rule for straps and a no-hat policy, and it was fine. I think thats respectable.

9. coriolis

coriolis Guest

You go girl!! They are no match for Becky on the warpath, going by what I've seen on this site.

10. kettleoffish

Give 'em hell. censoring books is wrong in the first place. Sure, it's a school library, and some things shouldn't really be there (kama sutra, etc), but there is a huge difference between removing inappropriate things like that and what they are trying to do.

11. Techcompu2

very true

we have that here too

12. bex22

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    good for you! that has to be tough tho, taking a stand against your family. will make for an awkward christmas/thanksgiving/next family gathering! good luck and let us know hoe it turns out!

13. Go Becky! though how does your husband view this.....?
    Censorship is a necessary evil sometimes (obviously we cannot have every opinion, idea or fact) and school age kids are still developing rapidly. But we cannot shelter everything from kids or make the world seem like Church. not reality....

14. biisme

I'm so sorry Becky!!!!!!! But, seeing you taking a stand, even if it means fighting your family, is really inspiring and shows us how much you care.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This happened a couple months ago. Have any of you read this book?

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/crook_county_removes_book_from.html

A couple of my PFLAG friends have read it and said that it talked about male masturbation. Big deal! This was in high school.

Guaranteed if there are books about homosexuality, my uncle will try to get them pulled. He's the one that wanted us to go to the "gay reparative therapy".

My husband and I are at odds alot about different things. We're total opposites.

16. Holynava17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Right Wing "Conservatives" LMAO, More like Right Wing "Heretics".
    I have had it with people who want to censor us; This is America (where I am anyway)! I say that if they want the government to censor our lifestyle, they should censor their's too, imo.

#16 Holynava17, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

PARENTAL ADVISORY: This post is not suitable for children under the age of 14.

Good god? So fucking what if it makes a reference to male MASTURBATION. It's not like the kids these days don't say worst shit. When I was in school I got tired of hearing about who got the latest slab of hot pussy. I've overheard many, MANY conversations on masturbation and it's a joke of immaturity and also a rite of passage. My god, if they're trying to fucking censor that because some grumpy old bitter woman wants to argue it's 'trash', then perhaps she should stop sheltering her goddamn child. I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. It's not up to her to call a book 'trashy', the point of the book and story is to show how America is, not to be some pretense to The Secret Life of An American Teenager. (which is a show if you didn't know)

How absolutely disgusting.

Sex ed should be taught at an EARLY age, to avoid any stupid mistakes or prevent retards from saying "I didn't know she'd get knocked up. It's not mine!!" I mean really, nothing bad will come of it. It's not like a great number of young women aren't itemized as sexual deviants, and some of the boys aren't prowlers anyway. IF anything, it's great it mentions it. It would probably bring up good, healthy topics in conversation afterward.

Hell! In New Mexico it was highly praised by your peers if you got someone knocked up in HS. If they had earlier sexual education, and were actually educated on the results and CONSEQUENCES of their actions maybe they would think twice? No?

Hearing stuff like that is enough to piss me off.

#17 The Enigma, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  18. starfish

This reminds me of something that I saw a couple of years ago.

I was walking through Barnes and Noble one night. Once a year they setup a table of books that various groups have tried to ban over the past year. Well guess what I saw sitting on the table. A big stack of "Fahrenheit 451".

Just the thought about someone wanting to ban a book about banning books. Well I smile about it every time I think about it.

19. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hmm that sucks big time everything is getting banned/censored.Its also kinda bs that its ure own family trying to do it Gl with it give em hell.

20. LorenzG1950

Hi Becky,

I can understand your outrage. Censorship in any form is one of my pet peeves. I’m appalled at school boards and puritans of any religious persuasion who think it is their solemn duty to deny knowledge to young people based on their own medieval beliefs and prejudices. These are same folks who will insist that ID and creationism should be taught alongside Darwin. These are the same boneheads who would prefer to teach abstinence rather than sex education, thinking their sons and daughters don’t need to learn about sex until they’re ready for marriage, preferably age 26 or later.

What planet are they living on?????:tantrum:

Two things speak against any would-be censors. Once a book is banned, every kid on the block will want to read it. Number 2, the Internet can’t be stopped and one of those online bookstores will have it.

Even as a kid, I looked up the books that were banned by the Catholic Church, like Lady Chatterly’s Lover, Tropic of Cancer, etc. and bought them at the downtown bookstore. And that was when I was 12 in 1962. What would make a parent think kids aren’t able to find what they want in 2009? :roflmao:

As for the fashion issue, not many parents win that one either, certainly not a church group of advisors telling kids how to dress. :lol:

Stay calm and fight them with sound logic and common sense. You'll win. :thumbsup: