1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by redskins20, Jul 3, 2016.

1. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, all.

I am by no means completely out; however, within the past year I have come out to my family, which is huge for me. I'll soon be going into my second year of college, and I want to branch out by making gay friends. The problem: I have no idea where to start.

My university has an LGBTQ Center designed for issues like this, but for whatever reason, I'm too afraid to go. I've (literally) stood outside the door waiting for the courage to enter, but I can never find it.

So I guess I'm asking two things: 1) where/how I can find gay friends and 2) how to work up the courage to go to the LGBTQ Center.

I apologize if my question(s) is/are a bit flustered. I'm somewhat new to the whole "out" thing.

Thank you in advance.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your university has a club for LGBT people, you can look there. I know at my University (UNT), there was GLAD, Gay and Lesbian Alliance of Denton (I think that's what it stood for.) So yeah, LGBT clubs can be a great resource for you to meet friends that are LGBT. As for the second question, summoning up courage to go into a center can be sometimes a tough time. But know that lgbtq centers are safe spaces and nothing can harm you. More than likely, whoever is the head of the center is really cool and really friendly to talk to. So just take a chance. Take a chance on both going to a LGBTQ club meeting and going in the LGBTQ center. You have nothing to law and everything to gain.