1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out with video chat

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PennyT, Jul 5, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents live in other state and hardly ever visit, except for holidays. I know I shouldn't come out during the holidays, so I'm wondering if I should come out via Skype or Google Hangout or something. Any advice on doing it that way? They might be moving closer soon, like in October, so I'd see them more, but I'm not sure if I should wait. The longer I wait, the greater chance that they'll find out on their own, especially if I start telling other people.

2. Hunter8

Personally, I think it would honor your parents by really trying to make a face to face coming out possible. They're your parents, and I think you all should intimately sit down in the same room together and have that conversation. I just think that sounds a lot healthier for your family as a whole.

3. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Do you regularly use video chat?

If so, as a parent, I'd rather have that conversation now in video chat than months from now in person...especially if you're starting to tell others.

4. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family uses Skype for big things when we can't be together, like birthdays and whatnot. I'm not planning on telling anyone else until I tell them, but I am planning on joining my school's LGBTQ club in September, and people might, accurately, assume things, and I'm afraid that they'll hear through someone else, which is why I'm thinking about doing the video chat.