1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chezzy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Chezzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I only have my mom. She constantly makes remarks on how she doesn't approve of LGBT things. She's asked me before if I was gay, but I've always denied it. But I have to come out, not being out has me completely stressed out and it's made my cycling (bipolar) way worse. I can't stand it. There's so much I want to do, but I'm afraid she'll kick me out. I'm only a sophmore in high school. Should I wait?

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. You should probably wait. You should wait till you're financially independent and such

#2 peterw78165, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a tough question. Im bipolar too and I know what something like this being kept inside can do to your mental health. I think you need to have a backup plan to make yourself feel better, so if worst comes to worst you have somewhere or something to fall back on to. You likely won't have to, but just in case and it's better to ease your mind that way. Then you should go ahead and tell her in my opinion.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As hard as it might be, waiting with coming out to your mom, might be the best option at this point. If you are worried that she might ask you to leave the house, that would be something to take into account into your decision.

How strong is your support network at the moment? Also, and if you don't me asking, what kind of remarks has your mum made?

5. Chezzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She's Christian, or at least says she is (I personally think she just uses the title to backup her beliefs), so she makes remarks like "It's against God," and "I'm so glad you never turned out like those freaks." She also doesn't allow me to spend much time out of her sight with LGBT friends, and repeatedly talks negatively about them behind their backs to me. It hurts a lot, I just really don't know if I should come out and (maybe?) feel better about myself, or wait and keep feeling terrible. I have a close friend of mine who says that if she kicks me out, he'd take me in, but I don't know how stable that is. All of my friends who know support me, and I'd definitely have somewhere to crash if I got kicked out.

6. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that case, if I were you, I would do it. I would just get it off my chest and do it. And if she can't accept you, that's her problem and not yours.

7. Chezzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks. I'm probably going to do it on National Coming Out Day if I can. I appriciate the inputs.

8. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. You have to do it sooner or later, anyway. Good luck! (*hug*)