1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Illuminati, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Illuminati

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 17 and i still haven't told anyone. I've think about it for months but i'm too afraid to tell somebody. I'm afraid my friends take it badly and I also don't know who I should tell first. Also, my mom won't stop asking me if there are girls who interest me and it is getting really annoying. I want to do it before I start college to make a new start and to introduce me as a homosexual, but it is coming faster than I thought and I still haven't told anybody. I'm really lost and scared at the same time... I think I need some advice :confused:

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All you really need is one person. Once you start coming out, it gets a lot easier. I didn't come out to anyone until I was in university, but in many ways I wish I had said something sooner. True friends will not take it badly. Tell someone who you think will take it well. The first friends I told were people who already had lgbt friends or were lgbt themselves. Good luck!

3. Chezzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd start with friends first, close ones. They'll hopefully get your confidence up, and motivate you to tell family. It's okay to be scared, just know that if they don't accept you, they don't deserve you.

4. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started telling my best friend, because I knew she wouldn't mind (she supports lgbt rights). Suddenly, it was easier coming out to some of my other friends as well. Try coming out to your closest friends, and everything should evolve from there. I'm 17 as well, and I've just started this coming out thing, so contact me if you're up for a talk about it. I know I need one. :slight_smile:

5. 0Brandon0

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 14 years old, and I'm openly gay. What I would do, is talk with people, get their opinions on the LGBT+ community and if they're accepting then I'd have the discussion about your sexuality with your closest friends first. Then continue with more and more people, and work your way around to your family. It gets easier and easier as you go. Remember that the people who don't accept you for who you are, are not really your friends. There are some people that I haven't told yet, but I'd be happy to tell. Just be you, and in the end, it'll all work out. I promise.

feel free to privately message me for more advice.

c:

6. LaurenJauregui

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in the same boat as you, though I'm a bit younger. I'm feeling like I've been trapped in this heterosexual box and I'm ready for the homosexual box to be opened for me. If you feel like you're ready to come out, then do it. Easier said than done, right? But I strongly suggest that you don't let this get to you, you'll only discourage yourself even more. :confused: I hope that you find some support! (*hug*)

7. Illuminati

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everybody for your support. I think I'm ready now, I just don't know who I should tell first :/ And if someone take it badly, what should I do ? Should I just leave or try to explain more ? Sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm a french canadian.

8. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try telling your best friends first. If they don't accept you, they're bad friends. Don't let anyone mock your sexuality, no matter what. It's a big deal, but it usually goes well. Good luck! (*hug*)

9. Confusedfetish

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No worries friend. You are sooo young. At least you feel comfortable with being gay. You don't have to tell anyone unless you want to and are ready to. When I was your age I had crushes on guys but I didn't think or even imagine I could be gay. I was girl crazy at the time. So, here I am 30 years later, gay and getting gayer by the second and married to a lady. My point is, if I knew how gay I would feel 30 years on I would've come out then. But I really didn't feel gay at the time and I didn't. Now, at 47, coming out has been very difficult to say the least. My wife of 22 years asked me when we first met if I was gay. I told her I wasn't. What a mistake. I was afraid to tell her the truth because I hadn't accepted my homosexuality. If you know you are gay and you feel gay, come out if you like. If guys make you happy, accept that and free your self from people's expectations of you