1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm terrified of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by grandforonemore, Jul 6, 2016.

1. grandforonemore

I'm pansexual (and questioning my gender), but I've accepted my sexuality. My mom has always told me that she wouldn't care if one of her kids were gay or lesbian, but I'm afraid that she won't think my sexuality is valid. I'm also from a small town that is very conservative and judgmental, and I wouldn't want to have to hide it.

I'm not really sure as to what kind of advice I need, but if anyone has encouraging words, they would be greatly appreciated.

2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think lots of moms dont know the word pan, so you may uave to explain. But, if she's ok with being gay, what makes you think she will reject bi/pan?

3. grandforonemore

I think it's going to be an argument with "But you could still date a guy, so you're still straight" kind of thing. I would explain what pansexual is, but that doesn't mean she'll believe me. (She likes to say I'm going through phases a lot.)

4. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an attempt to marginalize your feelings, don't allow it. One of the best comebacks would be "phase my rear end, I've felt this way for blank years". Afraid I don't have much advice beyond that.

5. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might do some explaining, but if she's fine with gay kids, she's going to be fine with pan kids. Anyway, you have to do it sooner or later, so perhaps you should just do it? I wish you the best of lucks!! :slight_smile:

#5 TorBror, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  6. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't even use the term pan, it can be confusing. Just say bi, and if there needs explanation let it come down the road. The point of this conversation to come out, not to educate on the relatively slight deviations of sexuality.