1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coping help please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by illiniroper1, Mar 9, 2009.

1. illiniroper1

illiniroper1 Guest

Im writing this because I cant sleep. I was hoping I could get some advice from other people on things that helped them cope or what not when they were still in the closet. Right now in my life would be a really bad time to come out. some days im fine with it. other times it seems like its all i can think about and it is eating me up inside. so if anyone has any good ideas on what helped them I'd appreciate it.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel that it is eating you up inside, maybe try coming out to another close friend or perhaps try joining a support group, like a LGBT group at school or in your community. Being part of a LGBT group could perhaps help you to overcome some of the 'in the closet' feelings as you will get to know others with whom you can perhaps talk to and relate to.

Sometimes, when we take that first step and come out to a friend or a family member, it can make it harder because then we really realize that we are 'hiding' from others. For many, being half in the closet and half out can make it harder. That said, always follow what feels right for you and what you feel comfortable with.

Hope you don't mind me asking, why would it be a bad time to come out?

#2 Mirko, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. Ajax

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    joining a group sounds like a good idea. if you don't want to do that, you could try coming out to strangers. kind of like an extension of being on here.

on the weekend my taxi driver said "wow she's hot" as we drove past a girl and i told him "actually i like boys". he looked pretty shocked lol. still i knew i was never going to see him again so who cares.

4. Jim1454

I know it can be a very overwhelming thing to contemplate - coming out.

If now isn't a good time - for some reason - then simply decide that you're not going to do anything about your orientation until X date. You've made a concrete decision - and that might help you put it aside for a while until you've dealt with other stuff.

Hang around in here though. Perhaps it's bothering you so much because you're not entirely comfortable about being gay yet yourself. And that's totally natural as well. We all needed to get comfortable with that idea before we were able to come out to friends and family in a positive way.

Good luck - and feel free to PM me (as a moderator here) any time if you want to chat one on one.

5. carolyn52

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can totally relate to what you are going through. You have gotten excellent advice and I would suggest that you do not pressure yourself. Take the time you need.