1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with AP classes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Étoile, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Étoile

Next year, I plan to take two AP classes. As I'm going to major in Psychology, I'll be taking AP Psychology without a doubt, but I'm torn between AP Literature/Compostion, AP European History, and AP French for my last AP class. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

AP Literature/Composition: I do well in English, I like to write, and I'm already taking AP Language/Composition.
    AP European History: I like history, and European history sounds very interesting
    AP French: French is fun and easy and I will have 4 French credits by the end of this school year, why not go for 5?

Cons:

AP Literature/Compostion: I heard the teacher is pretty hard and I kinda don't want to take the class, but I think I'd be able to pass it
    AP European History: I'm not sure how the teacher is or the workload, so I might be in a rude awakening when I walk into the class
    AP French: I can write, read, and do a little bit of listening French, but I sound like a 1st grader who can't read whenever I speak full sentences in French LOL

So which one should I take? I would take three AP courses, but 1 is a lot of work, let alone 2.

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would go AP French, in your situation. You don't seem all that interested in Lit/Comp, and with European History, be prepared for fifty-thousand kings and queens with the same name.

3. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go for Lit/Comp.

From what you said, you enjoy and are good at English - so why should a hard teacher scare you away?

next i would suggest European History followed by French.

Kaleb.

4. Ionless

It's not that easy to cope with French unless you have a french-speaking environment, believe me i've tried. As for the other two, I have no idea whatsoever. Probably lit if you're a lit person? Oh well I guess i'm not being helpful here, sorry about that.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably say Lit/Comp AP. I've taken AP tests and I've also taken college classes and believe me, the AP tests are probably 10x harder than any college class I've taken. But that's my recommendation.

6. carolyn52

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would suggest Literature/Comp as it is more useful in college and in life in general. Most of what we decide to do in life requires some writing skills and this will give you a heads up on writing skills. Literature, being well read is a very good thing to have in your life.

7. TheRoof

go for lit/composition.
    im taking ap language/composition too, and i think taking lit/comp would so better since ur already taking lang/comp. also u said that ur good at english so why not?
    i took ap euro last year, and it was literally a HELL for me. well, i have to admit that my teacher was just horrible (all we talked about was freakin Napoleon and french revolution for god's sakes-my teacher was a total freak and she idolizes napoleon for some reason-don't ask me why -_-;;;, and we didnt even get to 20th century.)
    and the test was pretty hard too. i got 3, which i still think is a miracle-i didn't know a thing honestly.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'll be the one to say European History. Why? You actually sound interested in it, and it contrasts with the other AP class you're taking.

I took two AP classes senior year too - Calc and Chem. No real problems, but then again, neither was a "writing" class. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Axon

I'll seem as if I were jumping on the bandwagon, but I suggest AP Literature & Composition. I'm taking the class this year and, although English is not my best subject, I've learned a LOT from this class. The experience has drastically improved my reading and writing skills, not to mention my ability to analyze and my comprehension of elevated diction. Also, since you are already taken AP Language & Composition, you have a good advantage over those people that are taking AP Lit next year without the AP Language experience. Furthermore, the reading and writing practice will indirectly assist you in AP Psychology, which, from what I've heard, is based on reading, vocabulary, analysis, and VOCABULARY! Another suggestion is, if you can, to become a student assistant for the AP French teacher. Being in the class, you'll learn what everyone else learns, and you could ask the teacher to give you the same tests to measure your level of understanding. Then, if you're up for it, you can ask the teacher to sign you up for the AP test. Sure, you might not get the credit, but it will probably be worth your while. As for AP Euro, like someone mentioned above, be prepared to memorize hundreds or even thousands of years of European History ranging from the Spanish Civil War to the attack on the Bastille to the collapse of the Roman Empire to the Trojan War to the collapse of the Soviet Union. Nevertheless, I'm biased; I cannot stand History, but that's just me. In the end it's up to you, but I hope my suggestions helped. :thumbsup:

10. revolutionrock

I am in AP English Lit right now. It isn't too bad, but then I haven't taken the test yet.

AP World History was really fun and interesting, and my favorite part was about Europe. So I would personally jump at the chance to take AP Euro history. However, it was an intense class, the test was ridiculously hard, not many people did well, and schools generally want a 4 or 5.

So as far as the amount of prior knowledge necessary, I'd recommend those two. Because if it came down to it, you could use Cliff's Notes to study, frankly.

I'm not sure about AP French. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, then did a semester at the college and it wasn't too terrible. None of the AP Tests involve oral exams, so listening would probably be your only real concern. But practice makes perfect. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your choices!

11. diegon3

well it depends if your schedule you only have room for those two classes as for me i would take all possible classes but don't only go by which class you can pass see which you are more comfortable with and your confident in passing the AP test

12. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was in high school I took, AP Calc AB (though we were mostly prepared for BC), AP Gov, AP Lit/Comp, AP Physics, and AP Euro History. The only one I didn't get a 4 or higher in was AP Euro History and there is a very simple explanation for it.

AP Calc, AP Gov, and AP Lit/Comp all corresponded to 1 college class. AP Physics was 2 college classes but to take it you already had to take non-calc physics so the class was covering the calc-based physics methods of things we already learned.

AP Euro History however required no previous course but still covered what amounted to 2 full college courses. The amount of material required for that exam is far too much than can realistically be covered in a high school course. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be A LOT of work. I took all the other AP classes senior year and AP Euro History junior year, and by far, AP Euro History took more time than all my senior year classes combined. You literally are going to wind up covering more than two thousand years of material. Unfortunately it'll be in chronological order and the test will focus its material in reverse-chronological order (idiotic, yes).

Additionally, unless you plan to pursue college course work requiring history courses, there isn't any great application or benefit from taking it. You may get credits that satisfy some sort of general education requirement but ideally, you'd probably want to take courses that interest you, fill the requirement, AND are possible to complete.

I found Lit/Comp far easier than Euro Hist. However, if you already know how to write well and argue well, there won't be much benefit from the course. The only thing, in my experience, on that test other than your ability to write and argue well is poetry. You'll need to learn the terms, vocab, structure, and types of poetry. You won't need to write any, but there will be questions about it. It took us about 3 weeks of class to go over that and other than that, the class was fairly pointless. A lot of reading and writing were required. I think we wound up reading a book one week, writing a paper on it the next week, rinse, and repeat.

<rant>
    However, I'm fairly biased towards the uselessness of the course because of the uselessness of the fat-ass, waste of life that "taught" the course. He was 400 lbs. If he fell out of his chair, he needed a team of faculty members to help him up. He stunk horrendously. And most importantly, he couldn't teach worth shit. He frequently got facts wrong in his arguments and under his logic was always correct. He had a brick he'd threaten to through at students (none of us ever took it seriously and it was a private school so there wasn't nearly as much worry about being yelled at for threatening students like that). His methodology for teaching that course was to have us keep writing papers and grading them until we figured out how not to fail them on our own. My solution was to plop 300 pages of information as to why he'd been wrong on all the topics of the previous week on his desk as I was leaving class on Monday. I got A's on every paper after that even though they were crap and I really didn't read most of the books they were on (not because I was disinterested but because I had three other AP classes, and two non-AP classes to deal with as well as a college course I was taking).
    </rant>

Now as to what course I would recommend, I'd say to look at the following factors to really decide what to do.

1) Enjoyment - how much you will enjoy the material. It is probably the most important factor as that’s really why you should take courses and is the only real reason you'll learn material.

2) Easiness - how much time will the course take outside of class. You're in high school. Have fun. There are plenty of opportunities to work your ass off in college and the rest of your life.

3) College - which colleges you are looking to attend and get accepted to. There isn't any benefit other than learning the material if the colleges you are looking at do not accept each of the AP tests. Also, you should look to see what courses and credits you get for AP test if they do accept it.

4) Comprehensiveness - is the course at your school realistically going to cover all the material in time for your AP test. If you don't find the material all that interesting AND you won't cover enough by the time of the test, there really isn't any point of taking it. You can check this by asking for average scores of previous classes and the min/max score for those classes. If no one gets a 4 or 5, that’s a bad sign especially if the colleges require at least a 4. Almost all do, but some subjects need only a 3. If no one even gets a 3 previously, then it'll be most likely impossible without substantial personal pursuit of education outside of school to pass the test.

I hope that this will help you decide. Good luck.

13. Lizz K

I'm in 5 AP classes and it's super easy.
    I LOVE my lit/comp class. So much. I'm als in AP psych, and yes definitely stick with that. AP French, in my opinion, is rather superfulous. Go with English. It's the most pertinent to your major, as well.