1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would be the best way for me to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

So, I want to come out to my dad and stepmom and this sound simple, but from what as far as I know, they seem at least somewhat homophobic. For example I remember one time a long while ago, my dad basically said that he doesn't like seeing gay people act like couples. Also when the whole Kim Davis thing happened, I remember my stepmom agreeing with her. However despite this, I highly doubt they would do anything extreme if I came out. Though, even if they take the news well, I don't know if they'll be accepting of it or if they'll potentially treat me differently. So, I'm not really too sure how to go about coming out to them or what exactly I'll say.

2. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ok to kind of take it by feel, don't rush. Toss out a trial balloon here and there maybe, and remember, because you're only 14, they may tend to marginalize your feelings. Just hang in there for now.

3. HuskyLover

I wouldn't rush it if I were you. You're still only 14 years old. Perhaps it would be better if you wait a year or two before telling them?

4. Sydney9teen88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I tried to come out when I was about your age. It was met with a lot of aversion and doubt. "It's a phase", "it's your hormones", "it's a confusing time for you and your body.", "don't say things like that, people will think you're a dyke", and my favorite "what will people think of me?? I didn't raise you like this." referring to my mothers complete horror and embarrassment.

It was incredibly frustrating, insulting, and often left me doubting myself which was more difficult than facing my own sexuality.

You know your situation best. You don't owe anyone an explanation of who you are or why you feel the way you do. But, be prepared for some friction and push back if you decide to.

The idea of coming out is dumb----I wish someday it'll be as normal to bring home whoever you want and have it as accepted as the football jock bringing home his cheerleader girlfriend to present to his parents.

#4 Sydney9teen88, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    There is neither one way or a best way to come out. You gotta take it a day at a time and have multiple outlets where you can vent. Whether it is painting, music, drawing, poetry, reading, gaming,etc.

You don't owe either one of them an explanation to your sexuality that's your business. Especially if you're recently feeling these feelings then take it slow and figure out your interests. Much love.

#5 purplewolf6, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016