1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending bisexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlmightyFluffy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. AlmightyFluffy

So today I overheard someone talking about how he believes bisexuality doesn't exist, they're either gay or confused. This was shocking seeing as how it was said by a gay guy, everyone around me agreed with him.

So, I need some points I could say to disagree, because I'm not that witty.

2. littledinosaurs

:O
    well I just heard this whole talk about how people have trouble understanding Bi because they think so Binary-ly, that things exists either as Gay or straight, Male or Female
    But we know that there are Bi/pan people and we have androgyny and Transgendered people.
    Sexuality is a spectrum, not just two categories.
    This is what Robyn Ochs taught me :slight_smile:
    she is a smart lady <3

3. Zac4

dunno what i am or if this asnwers ur question but i personally would like to have sex with everybody:icon_wink

tho i do know when ive been with girls im thinkng bout guys so. dunno. what was the question again?

4. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

There's a lot of prejudice regarding bisexuality. People tend to think that bisexual guys are just closeted gays, and in the case of girls that they are 'playing lesbian' in order to arouse guys.

5. Ryn48

Yeah- being bisexual is given a stigma that it doesn't deserve. people think that those who are bisexual simply like sex with everyone, and especially that they are promiscuous. Especially for women, people that say they are bi are labeled as straight girls who can't get any, or "playing lesbian" like Mysterons said. I'm pretty sure that guys are labeled as "too much of a chicken shit to actually come out". It's just ridiculous. If we expect the rest of society to accept us- how can we deny acceptance to these people?

6. biisme

Just because they can't conceive loving people of both genders, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. And, being attracted to both sexes doesn't mean that bisexuals just want to "do it" with everyone. It merely means that they don't automatically rule people out based on what parts they have.

They are trying to apply a black and white scenario to something that is a million shades of gray. Sure, one extreme of gray is black and the other extreme of gray is white, but the area in between still exists.

They can't prove a negative. In general, you can not prove that something doesn't exist, you can only say that it hasn't been discovered yet. However, just because they haven't realized bisexuality is real doesn't mean it doesn't exist for other people.

7. twilight lover

well im fally gay and i thingk bis r tru der they havent been on here than lol.

8. Greggers

Bisexuality is one thing that i just dont understand.

I myself cant fathom how someone can love different genders. However, i know it exists because ive seen it. I dont know how it works, but i know its there. If you want to defend Bisexuality, im sure you can find various studies out there that prove it does exist. Its not hard to believe that it exists honestly, I just wish i knew more about it.

9. Alannah26

I dont know how to explain it... I think I might be bisexual. You just feel attracted to guys and girls at the same time. It really depends on the individual person- the gender just doesnt matter because it's the person that counts, I guess. =S

10. Pendrin2020

Just ignore them and move on. You know better than they do, obviously. People are going to be making these kinds of bullshit claims as long as you live and the best way to combat the ignorance is to not feed into their cries for attention.

Let the Bisexuals work on the Bisexual stigmas. I wouldn't know enough about being bi to defend it properly so I think I'll fight for my own gay rights for the time being.

11. jangel

I do believe that there are people out there who are truly bi-sexual and who can EQUALLY love a man or a woman I think the problem is that there are so many people that give bi-sexuality a bad name (like at just about every bar I go to once a straight girl has a few drinks she become bi) there are a lot of people who are questioning that label themselves bi when they truly are not (I have dated 2 bi woman and they both left for wanting a man more....not truly bi just a way to string others along). Another misconception by gay people is that most start off labeling themselves bi before coming out (myself included but only as a teen) and so they assume that is what the person is doing because they did. But I do have a girlfriend who is truly bi I she is 30 and over the years she has been in serious committed relationships with both genders and I truly believe that love to her has no gender...so it is there. Just my two cents -jen

12. -Michael-

Well if humans are anything like the animals around us, gender wouldn't come into consideration when it comes to sex...

It's the social conditioning around us that does it.

And people don't have to be confused, must gay guys say they know when i girl is attractive, they just don't FIND them attractive.

Bi people just do...

13. Shevanel

I would really love to like provide an argument here to prove bisexuality exists but I don't know how to explain it myself. I just KNOW that I'm not gay and I know that I'm not straight. Its simple yet complicated. and I don't know how to explain it at all. Is it possible I might date only guys all my life, but that DEFINITELY doesn't make me gay in denial. If i was gay in denial, I would've just said I'm gay, rather than Bi because honestly, homosexuality is a lot easier to understand than Bisexuality I think. I hate when People assume that though, that I'm gay in denial, I'm most definitely not! :grin:

14. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its funny...because I used to be one of those people that believed that bisexuals were just in denial. At school I use to think bisexual were just asking for attention. It wasnt until 3 years ago when one of my best friends told me that she was bisexual that I started to think differently. She explained to me that gender never came into her mind when she saw someone....she fell in love with them as a person. Since then I've come to realise that sexuality is on a scale and that societies prejudices affect a bisexual from expressing their varied sexuality. Damn I wish I was bisexual...it automatically doubles your chances of finding a potential other half. ;-)

15. Shevanel

I used to think exactly the same, literally up until one year ago too. like if you met me last year and said "Hey Joey, what do you think about bisexuals?" i'd probably say, "its bullshit". Gosh, I didn't even know what I was in for lol.

16. Can that same man that said he doesn't believe in bisexuality say he doesn't believe in pansexuality? is it either you love one gender or all people regardless of gender?
    Both genders have something that a person could love and be with. as a gay male, i like penis and the male physique. but i am more attracted to female personalities because i can talk to them more.
    That said, bisexual people are just greedy!! XD XD
    just kidding

17. tylerzane69

18. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'd say something along the lines of (changing the pronoun depending upon whether I was out to them or not):

"Wow, it's really amazing how you know exactly how I feel"
    "You're wrong, they do exist, because I'm one"

And then, if they're like, no you're not, then say something along the lines of:

"That's interesting, because I've always thought it funny how you think you're straight and yet you're not. How funny you think it's an option! It's not in my experience to only have feelings towards one gender. Ergo, straight people don't exist. Therefore, you're bisexual [or gay or straight or whatever depending on what they are]"

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

^^ As a post-script to my post above, I'd just like to say that in real life I find it odd if someone says they've never felt anything for someone of the gender they're not normally attracted to. 100% gayness or straightness is something I've never experienced and can't understand (I've never experienced 50% bisexuality either. More 90/10 towards to girls :grin: ).

However, I've never taken this as proof that gay or straight people don't exist. Because I'm not stupid.

20. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Defending bisexuality....

Confusion only exists because we start with the assumption that love and sexual attraction are limited... The assumption was always that all men love women and all women love men... so when homosexuality came into the picture, it was deemed "confusion." Surely, if a man thinks he loves a man he is mistaken. Society is changing, and gradually people are beginning to accept that homosexual love can exist. Now if someone has feelings for both genders they are confused. When will it end?

Being attracted to both genders does not mean you're transitioning. You certainly could be, but it doesn't mean that you are. I am legitimately attracted to both men and women. I have feelings emotionally and sexually for both genders. That doesn't mean I want to jump every man I see or every woman... it just means that I have the potential to be attracted to and/or feel feelings towards a wider variety of people then some.

As for being bi for show... that's certainly not that case with me. If anything, it's miserable. We're judged by both sides: heterosexuals and homosexuals and I live in the Bible belt. I know I can't tell most people I know... because they wouldn't accept me. Even most of the guys I know... it's not hot, it's a sin. Woot.

Moral of the story: tell your friends that just because they haven't experienced something, that doesn't mean it's not real. Last time I checked, there are a million things I've never experienced that I still know to be true. Saying anything to the contrary is simply ignorant.