1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay on exchange?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stuie, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Stuie

My school has an exchange to France this year. We host a French student for 6 weeks in June - August, then we go to France to stay with their family in December - January. I think I will probably have to tell the exchange student that I'm gay.
    What are other people's experiences of being gay on exchanges?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I thought this was going to be a 'Gay With Pay' joke or something. Lol I was kinda hoping it was but I'll answer your topic! :grin: You don't HAVE to tell them. And it's France...the city of enamored couples. I highly doubt being gay over there is that big of a taboo. Really.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You don't have to come out to him if you don't want to. Hope you don't mind me asking, why do you think you should come out to the exchange student

If, on the other hand you think that it could help you to be yourself around the exchange student and his/her family while you are there and you know that they are accepting, then give it some thought. Your exchange should be fun and you should enjoy it.

4. Ben

Ben

My brother did a French exchange a few years ago. The French guy came over here, and didn't tell us anything. But he started barking like our dog and imitating the noises from electrical equipment. We figured that he had tourette syndrome but didn't tell us.
    But we didn't really need to know about his condition, because it really affected nothing. It just made us a bit confused at first.

The point is, even if you have a boyfriend that's going to make it obvious, your exchange does not need to know about your orientation. It might help him understand things but it's really not very necessary.

5. Gumtree

One of my good friends is currently hosting an exchange student from Germany (except she stays for 7 months), I have told her and she has been totally fine with it all; we work together sometimes and have a great time!

6. Janvier

I don't think you'll have a problem coming out here.

7. Alex19

its up to u. u dont need to, but he could b more accepting than u think. with luck, maybe he would b too!

8. briguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I would not say anything, its not really any of their business. I would only say something if you feel comfortable about it.

9. Fiorino

Honestly, French people in general are cool with gay people, but you don't have
    to tell them if you don't want to. There was an Italian kid that was here and was
    gay and he came out to his host sister and she was really cool about it.

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Ask Janvier when I visited, it was the first time I was open with my sexuality when I was in France. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

11. Stuie

Ooh! Thanks everyone. Most of my friends know and a significant part of marching band, so it will be kind of hard to hide it and I don't really want to either, but I'm looking forward to going to France, especially if people are ok with it.

12. waitingsucks

haha, I'm doing the exact same thing (like details are identical) do you go to my school? lol jks

anyway, yeah I was thinking the same thing for me. I don't think I would as I'm not really out, but... if I met a guy there then... maybe. I dono

It just depends on what you're comfortable with.

13. Lychee

Hah. I bark at people regularly, but, as far as I know, I don't have tourettes... I just do it to confuse people :grin:

14. Eleanor Rigby

There is stupid people in France as in everywhere else in the world, but I think most part of the population here doesn't care about it. If you are confortable with this guy, it probably be ok to tell him.
    Take care, Eleanor

15. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what I learned, traveling overseas with an exchange group whilst being gay is far from a problem. You should be fine. :wink:

16. sdc91

Dunno, I wasn't out during my study abroad (not an exchange). Didn't need to see why I had to be.

And I was alone, not in a group.

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

As long as you're not in like Pakistan or somewhere like that where they kill you for it, you'll be fine! Use it as a chance to practice coming out or see what its like being you without holding back. You've got a golden opportunity! :slight_smile:

18. Stuie

Well I'm out to anyone that asks now and will often say that I'm gay. I was more interested in what France is like for gays. But thanks everyone